4247Re: Curious

  • canoeist35
    Sep 12, 2007
      I'm surprised to see that no one replied to my previous post
      (below). Is there really nothing known by the DB aficionados in
      this forum on such a fundamental aspect of his life? Or is this
      possibly another case of people not wanting to discuss the subject?
      That would seem the ultimate disrespect to DB, though, so I'm at a
      loss on the silence here. Not one person had a reply to make on
      this?

      Michael

      --- In aloha-donblanding@yahoogroups.com, "canoeist35"
      <canoeist35@...> wrote:

      > This forum was suggested to me when I raised this general question
      > during some discussions of Don Blanding's Vernonware designs on
      > another board. I am curious about what, if anything, is known
      about
      > his broken engagement with Ruth Norton, and his divorce from the
      > Binney woman (whose full name I forget right now). Reading
      through
      > the biographical material I've been able to find, including the
      > timeline with all its details--plus a dozen or so of the poems--I
      > did get occasional impressions of elements that were sometimes
      parts
      > of a closeted life. Is there anything definite known about Don
      > Blanding's intimate relationships? He wrote so eloquently of
      Hawaii
      > not merely for its beauty, but also for its value as a refuge from
      > the harsher world he had known. If someone were either homosexual
      > or sexually ambivalent, the change from Oklahoma, say, to the
      > tolerance and relaxed atmosphere he described in Hawaii would
      > certainly have seemed that much more like paradise. Are there any
      > known facts that would establish an answer to that issue quite
      > plainly, one way or the other? It would certainly seem like there
      > must be such facts on record somewhere. Yet the overall
      impression
      > I've received (to date) is one of pure mystery.
      >
      > Michael

    • Show all 14 messages in this topic