4227Re: Bidding

    Aug 24, 2007
      tj

      Bidding in the last few seconds is called "sniping," as Cadia pointed out, and there are a
      number of programs you can get that do it for you. I use POWERSNIPE, which places my
      bid in the final 3 seconds. If I really want something, I put a really high bid in the
      program...but it will only go up to that amount if others place high bids as well. I don't
      have to be at my computer (or even in the state) and I almost always win the auction.

      The only time I bid at the beginning of an auction is if it has a 'buy it now' price, in which
      case I can get it right away...or at least by putting in the starting bid, it disables the buy it
      now feature. Otherwise I NEVER bid early.

      Now that we've given you all our trade secrests, I suppose the last few seconds of the
      Blanding auctions will be that much more exciting!

      Keith

      --- In aloha-donblanding@yahoogroups.com, THOMAS MARKLE <tjmarkle@...> wrote:

      > The 10 second rule in bidding is good if you are
      > sitting at the computer. Because I'm gone so much I
      > can't use the 10 second rule. Is there another way to
      > bid that I don't know of? I'm willing to learn if
      > there is. I usually figure out how much I can afford
      > to bid and in the last day or so just put it in and
      > hope. Sometimes it works. I usually try to collect
      > the paper ephemera because Wekula collects the
      > pottery. I have quite a bit of it and will donate it
      > at the right time. I'm torn between donating to
      > Oklahoma or Hawaii. I own about 6 original art pieces
      > now. I've burned them to CD's for protection and
      > backup. tj
      >
      > Cadia Los <duchess@...> wrote:
      >
      > > The recently imposed "anonymous" bidding applies
      > > only to eBay
      > > auctions that exceed $200, or that have BIN's or
      > > reserve prices at
      > > or above this amount.
      > >
      > > There's some indication that eBay may relax this
      > > lack of
      > > transparency in the near future. The whole idea
      > > was to prevent
      > > scammers from contacting underbidders with fake
      > > SCO's. Instead, a
      > > large number of bidders have stopped bidding on
      > > high-end items.
      > >
      > > However, the successful bidder's ID is always
      > > visible once the
      > > auction closes. In the most recent example, the
      > > high bidder is in
      > > Massachusetts and seems to buy autographed items,
      > > folk art and rare
      > > books. Nothing to indicate this is a Blanding
      > > collector.
      > >
      > > Keith was Bidder 6 -- darn good snipe! -- and I
      > > think TJ was Bidder
      > > 1. While the bidders' names were still visible, I
      > > did not see any
      > > other ID's that I recognized. Forgot to write down
      > > Bidders 2, 3 and
      > > 4 while I had the chance. Bidder 5 is a relative
      > > newbie, as
      > > evidence by the multiple bids. I think the winner
      > > (Bidder 7's
      > > snipe) may have bid $500 or more. That's a classic
      > > "go for broke"
      > > strategy that I don't recommend unless you're
      > > prepared to pay the
      > > piper.
      > >
      > > The trick to winning is to "bid once, bid late, bid
      > > your max." This
      > > prevents other bidders from challenging your bid and
      > > eating away the
      > > proxy. No guarantees of course, but showing your
      > > interest early on
      > > is just asking for trouble!
      > >
      > > ~~Cadia

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic