4159Re: [aloha-donblanding] Vagabond's Return, Oregon Journal, February 24, 1952

    Mar 17, 2007
      Have been on the road the last 7 weeks and am catching
      up with emails. I'm stealing a phone line from a
      friend today. Spent 4 weeks in Yuma and did some
      walking and talking about DB while there. Met one
      lady who knew of him and remembered him from Florida
      but she had no new info. She called all her 80+ years
      friends and some remembered articles of him or by him
      in the Yuma Sun Newspaper. Researched those yet
      Keith? If not, I'll order them when I get back home.
      Nothing else new or significant in Yuma. Will head to
      Taos next year.....tj
      --- Cadia Los <duchess@...> wrote:

      > Someone recently sent me a one-page article about
      > Don Blanding
      > published in the Oregon Journal, Sunday magazine, on
      > February 24, 1952.
      > I have transcribed the article in the Files at
      > Files>Publications>
      > Oregon Journal.
      > I may have an original photo that shows DB feeding
      > the ducks, or at
      > least one similar to the photo that accompanied the
      > article, and will
      > try to provide a scan later.
      > The article confirms that DB spent the summers of
      > 1909, 1910 and 1911
      > in Yellowstone Park. It also describes the
      > influence of Chin Chong,
      > the candlemaker (whose name is spelled incorrectly
      > as Ching-Chong) on
      > DB's choice of brush and ink as a medium. The
      > article also mentions
      > DB's return to Bend in the spring of 1951 for two
      > weeks -- and his
      > decision to stay for an undetermined time.
      > As we know, DB remained in Bend until late August
      > 1952, when he once
      > again traveled to Hawaii en route to Micronesia for
      > about a year. My
      > notes show that DB settled in Hawaii in September
      > 1953, after a quick
      > trip to the mainland, and remained there for two
      > years, except for
      > brief book/lecture tours.
      > Enjoy!
      > ~~Cadia