      From: Cadia Los
      To: aloha-donblanding@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thursday, March 08, 2007 3:47 PM
      Subject: [aloha-donblanding] Vagabond's Return, Oregon Journal, February 24, 1952

      Someone recently sent me a one-page article about Don Blanding
      published in the Oregon Journal, Sunday magazine, on February 24, 1952.

      I have transcribed the article in the Files at Files>Publications>
      Oregon Journal.

      I may have an original photo that shows DB feeding the ducks, or at
      least one similar to the photo that accompanied the article, and will
      try to provide a scan later.

      The article confirms that DB spent the summers of 1909, 1910 and 1911
      in Yellowstone Park. It also describes the influence of Chin Chong,
      the candlemaker (whose name is spelled incorrectly as Ching-Chong) on
      DB's choice of brush and ink as a medium. The article also mentions
      DB's return to Bend in the spring of 1951 for two weeks -- and his
      decision to stay for an undetermined time.

      As we know, DB remained in Bend until late August 1952, when he once
      again traveled to Hawaii en route to Micronesia for about a year. My
      notes show that DB settled in Hawaii in September 1953, after a quick
      trip to the mainland, and remained there for two years, except for
      brief book/lecture tours.

      Enjoy!