4047"Private Don" in the Army, 1942-43

    Jul 9, 2006
      Hello, all ..

      I think I've identified the inscription on the photo of DB in
      uniform that I uploaded a few days ago. While I was looking through
      the Files for something else, I happened to look at the postcards
      sent by DB to Nellie Hayes McMurray in the 1940s.

      Bingo! "N H Mc" on the photo has to be Nellie!

      With the photo I received several documents. One is a
      typed "bulletin" written from Fort Ontario, NY, where he was
      undergoing "intensive training."

      http://speakeasy.org/~duchess/42pvtdon.jpg

      On the back is a handwritten note signed "Private Don."

      http://speakeasy.org/~duchess/42pvtdon-a.jpg

      A second document, also typed and signed, describes the genesis
      of "Soldier's Baby" (Pilot Bails Out) and includes the poem that was
      originally titled "To Gail."

      http://speakeasy.org/~duchess/gail2.jpg

      Both pages have been folded and were once pasted into a book or
      scrapbook but are in remarkably good condition.

      Although I bought the documents with the photo, I can't be certain
      that they were sent to Nellie, but it's very possible.

      I tried to upload these images to the group website, but they end up
      looking like "mush" so you'll have to copy and paste the URL's to
      view them.

      Enjoy!