4036Re: [aloha-donblanding] Springtime

  • Curt Blanding
    Jul 3, 2006
      Hi Tom,

      Lei Lani was made on both the Ultra and the San Marino base. There
      are a couple of other patterns that are very similar - Hilo and
      Honolulu have slightly different color combinations - most notably
      the color of the central lotus blossom. It is not too rare to find
      pieces that have some deviation from the normal pattern. For example,
      the multi-colored Coral Reef plate that is shown in the 'Collectible
      Vernon Kilns' book (2nd edition page 232). I think that, while the
      actual base glaze pattern was mass produced, it was applied to each
      individual piece by hand (as a single base color) and the color
      highlights were added by hand. The same would apply to the
      'signature' marking on the bottom. Your piece was probably a mistake
      by the production person applying the wrong label to the bottom. I
      have seen several cases of production "mistakes" and there are also
      some pieces that were custom produced for a particular retailer (eg. Trojan).

      Can you please send me some photos of this piece? You'll have to
      send them directly to my email address - not thru this group.

      Thanks,
      Curt

      At 08:54 PM 7/3/2006, you wrote:

      >Nice try but wrong pattern. My cup is without a doubt
      >a Vernon Kilns Lei lani design with Springtime as the
      >design name. Tomorrow I'll compare Sprintime with
      >several other Lei Lani Patterns I own. To the naked
      >eye I can't tell the difference other than the design
      >name.....we'll keep looking and
      >researching....thanks...tj
      >
      >--- Linda Allred <<mailto:linall9%40yahoo.com>linall9@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Tom, look at this website and scroll down to
      > > Springtime. Is that the same pattern? It says
      > > Metlox Pottery began in 1927 in Manhattan Beach,
      > > California and grew to become one of California's
      > > premier pottery companies. There were two divisions
      > > within Metlox, the Poppytrail Division and the
      > > Vernonware Division (due to Metlox's purchase of
      > > Vernon Kilns in 1942). We carry over 60 patterns of
      > > Metlox. Their Vernonware Division is listed
      > > separately.
      > >

      > <http://www.hillhousewares.com/category0maker2.html>http://www.hillhousewares.com/category0maker2.html
      > >
      > > Tom Markle <<mailto:tjmarkle%40sbcglobal.net>tjmarkle@...> wrote:
      > > And so, I RV'd up to Brookings Oregon for
      > > the last two weeks. While browsing some
      > > local Antique and junkie shops I came across a
      > > likely looking Lei Lani coffee cup.
      > > Much to my surprise when I turned it over, it was
      > > marked with all the usual Aloha
      > > Don Blanding, Vernon Kilns, etc.....but it was not
      > > marked Lei Lani. It was titled,
      > > Springtime.........I hadn't heard of this version
      > > before????? So, someone educate me on this
      > > one. I thought could it be a forgery? Is it a 1950's
      > > version of Lei Lani? Was it mis-
      > > marked? The cup is in pristine condition, though the
      > > writing is a bit foggy and not
      > > clear. Do I now own the Holy Grail? Hmmmmm. Anyone
      > > heard of this before??? tj

      > > removed]

      * Curt Blanding, Independent Consultant-Contractor *
      * specializing in high speed digital design
      * for Automatic Test Equipment
      * and other high speed applications
      * signal integrity and high speed PCB design
      * PLL design
      * FAST Technology
      * 4508 Norwich Way
      * San Jose, CA 95130