4017Re: James Blanding - 1910 census

    May 26, 2006
      Keith and TJ ...

      Here's what I have so far on James C. Blanding, elder brother of Hugh
      Ross Blanding:

      1850 census:

      b. abt 1848 - Wisconsin (age 2)
      son of Joseph and Maria Blanding
      Father b. PA; mother b. WI
      Residence: Grant County, WI (Lancaster, I think)

      1860 census:

      ditto (age 12)
      Residence: Watertown, Grant Co., WI

      1870 census:

      I don't have this one yet. Will check this weekend.

      1880 census: June 7 & 8

      b. abt 1845 - Pennsylvania (age 32), Surveyor
      Wife: Christina, age 27, b. Sweden (F/M also b. Sweden)
      Residing: Sheridan, Pennington Co., Dakota Territory

      NOTE: I believe this is our James C., but note PA as birthplace.
      Since mother Maria was b. WI, I believe all her children were b. WI.
      Census page correctly lists F/M birthplace as PA and WI, respectively.

      Now here's the goodie I discovered while rambling on Ancestry.com
      last night ....

      1890 Veterans Schedules Record:

      James C. Blanding, Private, Company A, 41st Wisconsin Infantry
      Enlisted: May 6, 1862
      Discharged: July 25, 1865
      Years of Service: 3
      No disabilities noted
      Residence: June 1890 - Cascade, Cascade County, MT
      Post Office Address: Grand Coulee, MT
      House No.: 207 (no street given)

      Yes, I know our James C. would have been about age 14 or 15 upon
      enlistment, but that was not unusual. It would be worth checking
      further to find out if Pvt. James C. enlisted from Grant County.
      There's another Blanding line in St. Croix, Polk County, WI -- not
      connected to our Blandings as far as I know. Maybe a distant
      relationship if one or more of the Pennsylvania Blandings settled in
      Polk County.

      Keith, I have the citation but not the document for the 1910 census
      listing:

      James C. Blanding
      b. abt 1847 - Pennsylvania
      Residence: Jardine School District, Park County, MT

      I'm pretty sure this is our guy, but that PA birthplace bugs me! It
      shows up again ....

      1920 census: January 23

      b. abt. 1847 - Pennsylvania (age 73), Farmer
      Wife: Mary, age 50, b. Sweden
      Residence: Livingston Ward 2, Park County, MT

      Again, James' F/M listed as b. PA and WI, respectively. I believe
      Mary (also "May" on Ancestry.com) was a 2nd wife, given the age
      difference.

      James C. does not appear on the 1930 census.

      Why would he indicate PA as his birthplace and not Wisconsin?
      There's no disputing the 1850 and 1860 census information. Here's
      what I think:

      If Pvt. James C. is our guy, maybe he fudged his age to enlist. If
      so, he might have given PA as his birthplace because Wisconsin
      authorities could not easily check it and find out his real age.
      Since our James' father, Joseph, was from Pennsylvania ... well, why
      not? A little fib in 1862 may have followed James the rest of his
      life!

      That's it for now.