      From: aloha-donblanding@yahoogroups.com
      [mailto:aloha-donblanding@yahoogroups.com]On Behalf Of keith2draw
      Sent: Wednesday, April 19, 2006 6:23 PM
      To: aloha-donblanding@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [aloha-donblanding] Report on Kingfisher

      I got home from Kingfisher last night. It was a very enjoyable trip and I
      had a fun four days
      there. I stood on the street corner that Don was born on (I think) and
      that was very cool.
      The street was renamed Don Blanding Avenue in 1958, and runs through the
      entire town. I
      took a picture of Blanding and Main.

      There was a front-page story with my photo in the local newspaper a few
      days before my
      talk. Also, the marquee on one of the local banks was advertising the talk
      as well.

      My talk went for an hour, with questions afterward and some gifts were
      then presented. I
      then had a book signing and refreshments were served. How did I do? Hard
      to say. I was
      nervous at first but then relaxed a little bit. The library did not have a
      powerpoint remote
      clicker so I had to sit down at the table and manually turn the pages of
      my slideshow. I
      would have preferred to stand. I reviewed Don's life, showed artwork,
      pottery designs, lots
      of photos, told stories of his childhood in Oklahoma, presented a
      minute-long, live-action
      film clip in color of Don talking about Hawaiian customs, then ended with
      a 12-minute
      film I made using Don's reading of Vagabond's House accompanied by
      illustrations from
      all his books. The drawings in the film zoomed in or out, and faded into
      each other. I
      gained some confidence and learned some do's and don'ts, and I think my
      next talk will
      profit from what I learned.

      There was a respectible crowd of 35 folks, including two from the Great
      Plains Museum in
      Lawton, 100 miles away. I finally got to meet Jim Whiteley, a nice guy,
      but didn't have a
      chance to talk to him afterwards. They left before I could chat...probably
      to get back
      home.

      The mayor and his wife, the previous mayor, a judge, and lots of locals
      were in
      attendance. I had loads of fun and sold some books and CDs too.

      On the research front I got some microfilm time in (a few references to
      the family) and had
      a breakthrough for the researchers in the group:

      The Kingfisher Times, Thursday, September 10, 1896

      "Mrs. H. L. Blanding (error in the initials) and family will leave
      Kingfisher thursday evening
      for Minnesota where they will stay for a time, then join Mr. Blanding
      either in Colorado or
      wherever he decides to locate."

      So this is the mysterious period that Hugh was in Colorado. We were trying
      to figure this
      out a few years ago because Don said once his father lived in Cripple
      Creek, Colorado for a
      time and broke both legs in an accident.

      Ida and kids must have stayed the fall and winter in Minnesota with her
      sister Ada.

      Then I went to the county courthouse and discovered in the old record
      books that Hugh
      and Ida had owned at least nine parcels of land in the city of Kingfisher
      at various times.
      Ida was always listed first, which is unusual for the time. Included in
      the papers was a
      document that Ida had signed on August, 1897 in Mapleton, North Dakota,
      giving Hugh
      power of attorney over their land in Kingfisher. It listed Hugh as a
      resident of Victor, El
      Paso County, Colorado (I live in El Paso county, by the way).

      The power of attorney document was then stamped and recorded in Kingfisher
      three
      months later...so I'm assuming they mailed it or one of them returned to
      Kingfisher. Jesse
      may have stayed in Oklahoma the whole time because there is a mention of
      her visiting
      Kingfisher from Enid on Christmas 1897. She may have been at school, as
      she was old
      enough to be on her own by then, or the family may have all returned and
      settled in Enid
      by that point.

      I'm now excited about going back to Oklahoma for another talk...maybe Enid
      or Lawton
      next time.

      Blanding ut Poetry book publishing Poetry writing contest

      Service.