3860Huge cache of books owned by Edythe Hope Genee

    Dec 20, 2005
      Cadia, TJ, all...

      I've come across a bookseller in California who bought up a huge lot (300 books) which
      came from the library of Edythe Hope Genee. They are mostly vanity (self published)
      poetry books from her friends in the Los Angeles area. Most are inscribed to Edythe, some
      to Don Blanding...and some have Don's bookplates and/or mailing labels in them.

      There are a few books from the Hollywood Evening School that Don illustrated. The most
      valuable book is the complete works of Robert Service, inscribed by Service to Edythe...the
      bookseller is selling that one for $950 (because he signed so few of his books) but most of
      the books are in the $8 to $30 range.

      I bought a few of the cheaper ones, but don't have the budget for much more. If anyone
      wants to contact the bookseller, it is Broadway Books, 4521 Ingot Lane, Garden City, CA
      95633, 530-333-4986, brdwybooks@...

      The best thing would be for TJ (or someone else in that area) to visit the bookstore and
      look through everything. He obtained them from an antique store in Roseville, California
      and will ask them about it again when he has a chance. I'm mainly interested to know if
      there were any personal belongings with the books (letters, diaries, etc...)