3776Re: Yellowstone Park and James C. Blanding

    Jun 3, 2005
      Yes, the
      > James C. Blanding was most likely the brother to Don Blanding's
      father, Joseph W.
      > Blanding.

      Not correct. James C. Blanding was Hugh Ross Blanding's elder brother
      (by 4 years), the son of Joseph W. Blanding and Maria.

      James C. Blanding was born 7 May 1848, and was a surveyor, so it's
      > likely he surveyed the Yellowstone roads, etc. The only other
      information I
      > found on him is:
      >
      > 1880 Census. Place: Sheridan, Pennington, Dakota Territory
      > James C. BLANDING, Head, Male, White, 35, b. PA, Surveyor (father b.
      PA,
      > mother b. WI)
      > Christine BLANDING, Wife, Female, White, 27, b. SWE, Keeping House
      (father b.
      > SWE, mother b. SWE) [I believe SWE means South Western Europe as
      place ...

      No. SWE means SWEDEN.

      There are several other census listings for a James C. Blanding ... I
      don't have my notes with me but I believe the 1910 census includes a
      JCB with wife Mary (also b. Sweden!) in Livingston, Montana.

      I am not convinced that any of these is actually Hugh's brother, but
      the Sheridan, D.T., listing is a good possibility. The age is off by
      3 years, though.

      I'll try to a bit more digging in my notes to see if I can find any
      relevant details.

      ~~Cadia

      > Very interesting information about James C. Blanding!! Hope to hear
      more.
      > Keith found some interesting references to Hugh R. Blanding in the
      Deadwood
      > Historical Newspaper Index. ." It appears he was a Pennington
      County delegate
      > to the U.S. Grand Jury in Rapid City" in 1878. That same year Jim
      Blanding
      > was "fighting mountain lions in the Black Hills." and "James C.
      Blanding was in
      > an article on the "Peoples party ticket in Pennington County" in the
      Black