3746Re: [aloha-donblanding] Audrey Ovington 1913-2005

  • Heidi Wright
    Mar 22, 2005
      I have been reading letters posted on this board for awhile now and have never posted. I just love Don Blandings poems, my mom use to read them to me when I was a child and at about age 14 I commited to memory Vagabonds House. WHen I grew up I started collecting his books and i have quite a few of them now. Whenever I find one that I already have I buy it anyway and pass it along to friends so that they may share the joy.

      One of the books I purchased has a black and white photograph of him stuck in it and the book was signed. The picture appears to have been taken in Hawaii, it is black and white with the water and some cliffs in the background. The book the photo was in was also signed from him with a message to the person the book was given to. I wonder did he put promotional pictures in the books at signing or was this book maybe given to someone special?

      I don't know, I have always wondered.

      tjmarkle@... wrote:
      A friend sent me an interesting tidbit. I have him following up for more info on the relatives/family to see if I can get phone numbers, addresses, etc. This is an excerpt from a recent obit on Audrey Ovington who died at the age of 91.

      "Writing was one of Ms. Ovington's many passions, according to her resume. At 8 she sold her first poem for $1, a work penned the previous year. At 14 she wrote for Hearst newspapers; two years later, the poet Don Blanding took her under his wing. Ms. Ovington wrote her first film treatment at 18, after having modeled for Lucky Strike, Coco-Cola and Chamberlin's Lotion". The obit further says: "Ms. Ovington had her own local radio show for a time, and was stage manager for the Lobero Theatre. For a year she also worked as a stage manager and set designer in the dramatic school owned by Josephine Dillion, Clark Gables, first wife, in Hollywood". DB was in Calif in 1927 (or thereabouts) and it would be the right timeline for him to have met her. She was born in 1913 and was 16 when DB mentored her. That puts it at about 1929 if you can trust memory. I haven't gone through the timeline yet to see if this all fits.
      While in Santa Barbara last month I had gone to dinner with my friend at the Cold Spring Tavern (you can see it online), a famous local spot you just have to go to. It turned out that Ms. Ovington owned this wonderful little restaurant I had just eaten at. She has local family and a brother that I am tracking down right now. Never know what is held in those family albums or what might get tossed, not knowing who Blanding was, etc. You just never know where he will pop up! I'll report back what I find out. tj

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      To visit your group on the web, go to:

      From: HeidiWrigh@...