3722Re: Don Blanding in Carmel, 1944

    Jan 6, 2005
      Cadia,

      I did a search on this website and came up with the following
      message from Jim Whiteley in Aug. 2000:

      In a letter to Lucille Henderson, August 10, 1944 (the return address
      is Drawer U, Carmel, Calif.) Don mentions Vagabond's House:

      Helen Spencer is carrying on the business, but Bob has been in
      the Army, mostly at Camp Hulen down near the Gulf (and is it hot and
      muggy THERE), and very homesick. I live around the corner from what
      was Vagabond's House. Helen has made it over to suit them..which is
      right and proper, but it is not remotely my Vagabond's House any
      longer..but I never did do any regretting. It served its purpose,
      and I often go in and out of the house quite forgetting that it was
      ever mine. We never really own anything anyhow, and the sooner we
      learn that the better off we'll be, especially in human relations.
      There's a horrible murder case pending here right now , due to
      possessiveness of a human life.

      -----

      I also just dug up an article from the Monterey Peninsula Herald on
      March 2, 1944:

      DON BLANDING IS BACK IN CARMEL -- AND VERY GLAD OF IT

      The article indicated that he was back to stay, indefinately (or at
      least for a few months.) I'll see what other info I have in my files.