3712blanding linoblocks

  • steve johnson
    Dec 12 3:01 PM
      Hello

      I have an interest in Mr Blanding from his friendship with Orre Nobles. Nobles was an interesting character who among other things is know for being voted favorite teacher at Ballard Hi School (Seattle) at 100 year anniversary, world traveler, artist, owner of Olympus Manor on Hood Canal in Wa., rug designer and friend of the famous. That list includes along with Blanding, Upton Close (illustrated book for him) Mark Tobey and Gene Tunney, world undefeated boxing champ. Don stayed with Orre on a few different which is documented in book about Nobles. Olympus manor burnt to the ground in 1952 however many items were spared having been stored in his studio away from the main house. I recently acquired those contents which included a number of wood, metal and lino blocks. A number of artist were in residence there and it was common for visitors to carve blocks themselves. There are a few of a cartoon character I can't attribute to anyone else and Blanding did draw for the Star Advertiser
      in Honolulu I know. Do you have any of his cartoon copy? I noticed a gentleman though he might have some wood blocks and I may have some of those answers albeit we're uncertain at this time. Could you assist me in my research?

      Thanks

      Steve Johnson