3610Re: [aloha-donblanding] Re: Dead Poets Society

  • Karen Cotter
    Mar 23, 2004
      Hey, it would be nice to have you on the West Coast! We could have a
      regular Blanding Jamboree! As far as conditions here - employment is
      nonexistant for the most part in Oregon. I don't know what you do besides
      your Blanding research so can't be of much help. From what I hear, Portland
      is doing pretty well, job-wise but any of the pretty little towns are bleak
      as far as economy unless you can do something to make money from home vis a
      vis your computer. Once you get into CA, the price of homes soars and the
      far northern part of CA down to San Francisco is in a terrible economic
      slump. They depended on the timber industry and the big trees are all gone
      except for what has been put into parks. San Francisco's cost of living is
      completely out of sight for anyone not in the million-dollar bracket and the
      Silicon Valley went bust 10 years ago and everyone is on the dole there. As
      I said, I don't know what you and Vanessa do so I can't really be specific.
      The cost of living is mind-blowing. Here in the plain old San Fernando
      Valley a one bedroom apt. - nothing fancy - rents for $1,200+ per month and
      they want first, last and one month's security deposit. The median price of
      an ordinary little house in CA is $450,000 - my little 2 bedroom, 1 bath on
      a large lot would bring $600,000 if I sold it today. Crazy!!!!

      You can get cheap housing in Bakersfield but I sure wouldn't leave Colorado
      for Bakersfield! The San Diego area is also booming price-wise. My old
      Daddy told me to get a lot while I was young. (I thought he meant real
      estate, ha ha) I'm glad I bought a couple of places - it was good advice.
      Karen