3578Re: [aloha-donblanding] Re: Inez Ashdown Aloha Kahoolawe

  • RSRICHMOND@aol.com
    Dec 18, 2003
      Maui Tom (who's MauiBandB on AOL) wrote: >> Thanks Bob for your appreciation
      of the Mele. I am impressed with your sensitivity to the Hawaiian language
      living in Tennesee. Yes Kahoolawe's tie to Tahiti is the current that will take
      you directly there.<<

      Thanks for the kind words, Maui Tom. As most of you know, my only tie to Don
      Blanding is that his Stowaways in Paradise was one of the books that really
      shaped my childhood. Through this list I've found out who Don Blanding really
      was. I confess I don't resonate real well to his poetry - wish I'd encountered
      it when I was a lot younger - or could read it with a friend of mine who's a
      serious student of gay literature - he's walked me through some of the poetry of
      Mark Doty -

      I think we should republish Stowaways in Paradise - with all the notes we
      could write - with the Hawaiian place names spelled right in scriptio plena (how
      DO you say that in Hawaiian?) I scanned a page of the book a few years ago to
      see what the project would be like. The book is so simply and beautifully made
      that I'm not sure we could convey it.

      Then one or more of us would write a sequel - Mickey and Pua in WW II of
      course - a project worthy of a James Michener -

      An ambitious dream - but our reach should exceed our grasp, as the saying
      goes -

      Bob Richmond
      Knoxville TN