3574Re: Inez Ashdown Aloha Kahoolawe

  • RSRICHMOND@aol.com
    Dec 17, 2003
      Mauibandb@... (sorry I haven't got your name) posted this wonderful text
      and translation - thanks for the 'okina (glottal stop) and at least occasional
      kahako (phonemic vowel length marker). My Hawaiian is fairly minimal, but
      let's go anyway - I love this mele. - Kaho'olawe - the smallest of the eight
      islands - a sacred place in `âina (the land) - was taken over as a gunnery range
      at the beginning of WW II and is now being reclaimed by native Hawaiians who
      are trying to clear the island of unexploded ordinance. When a Hawaiian - even a
      haole like myself who just happens to have been born there in 1939, thanks to
      the US Army, and has not a drop of koko (native blood) uses the word `âina -
      the sacred land (like `eretz in Hebrew) you better listen - Ke aloha ku pa`a o
      ka`âina is the last line of this mele. Do what you can to make peace and
      aloha in every`âina.

      Ke ala no i Kahiki - there lies the passage to Tahiti - sublime conceit -
      Kealaikahiki "this way to Tahiti" Channel passes by Kaho'olawe. Kahiki (Tahiti in
      Hawaiian phonetics) is the farthest-away place Hawaiian knows of - so a
      pineapple is hala.kahiki (pandanus fruit from Tahiti) - rather like "guinea pig"
      and "horseradish" in English - Meerschweinchen and Meerrettich in German - sorry
      for the ramble, folks, it's been a long day.

      Bob Richmond
      Knoxville TN and Gastonia NC
      born O'ahu (Tripler Army Hospital) 1939
      and great fan of Don Blanding's Stowaways in Paradise (first read to me when
      I was five)
      *******************
      Aloha Kaho`olawe - Inez Ashdown, Pilahi Paki & Irmgard Farden Aluli - Source:
      In 1963, Inez Ashdown was reminiscing of her experiences on Kaho`olawe.
      Pilahi Paki translated the English into Hawaiian and Irmgard set it to music, a
      song composed in one day. Copyright Criterion Music Corp

      E o mai e Kaho`olawe
      Moku o ka Pakipika
      Ku a moana a na kai
      Ke ala no i Kahiki