3298Re: [aloha-donblanding] Honolulu Star-Bulletin, January 1 - April 15, 1925

  • Michael Pfeffer
    May 31, 2003
      Cadia,
      Fascinating reading. Interesting to note DB's
      relationship with a number of high profile Hawaiian
      artists. David Howard Hitchcock is perhaps the best known
      "native" artist (he was born and raised in Hawaii). He
      studied in France and was a student of the famous Jules
      Tavernier (who is perhaps best known for his paintings of
      Hawaiian volcanoes, American Indian encampments and
      Yosemite). Madge Tennant is another well known Hawaiian
      artist, as was Huc Lucquiens. Lucquiens deserves note as
      it relates to DB because he is famous for his etchings and
      taught the process at the University of Hawaii for many
      years. Perhaps DB learned from him??? It would make
      sense as he had to learn from someone and this is the
      first mention I have heard connecting him to Huc.

      Thanks for all of the research! aloha, michael

      ps, picked up that 16.5 Joy chop plate so now I need the
      big chop in maroon and blue glamour, ecstasy, and orange
      Coral Reef and the collection will be complete. If anyone
      has one they want to sell please let me know!

      On Sat, 31 May 2003 21:00:53 -0000
      "Cadia Los" <duchess@...> wrote:

      Michael T. Pfeffer
      President& CEO