3271Msg. #2795 - Blanding in 1924 ? Honolulu S-B Jan.-Feb. 1925

    May 14 3:00 AM
      Keith...

      I have an answer to your question (message #2795):

      "...but where was he in 1924. New York? He mentions NY in Paradise
      Loot."

      I have just started reading the Honolulu Star-Bulletin from 1925. On
      January 20, the following item appears:

      ***********

      DON BLANDING COMING
      BACK TO HAWAII SOON

      Don Blanding, former Honolulu artist and writer, will soon return to
      the islands after about eight months' absence. He went to Europe
      last summer for study, stayed awhile in London and Paris, and
      returned to new York late last fall. He is returning to Hawaii to
      join the staff of the Charles R. Frazier Co. He is expected next
      month.

      ***********

      A second item appears in the February 4, 1925 edition:

      ***********

      DON BLANDING WRITES
      OF COLORFUL MARKETS
      FOUND IN HONOLULU

      Don Blanding, former Honolulan, is the author of a feature story in a
      recent issue of the New York Herald Tribune entitled "Social and
      Esthetic Pleasure to Market in Honolulu." It deals with the
      picturesque phases of marketing here and is filled with local color.
      Blanding, who went to Europe last year for art studies, is returning
      to Honolulu the end of this month.

      I'm preparing for this weekend's Tacoma Dome antiques show and will
      not have an opportunity to read more S-B microfilm until next
      Monday. I'll try to locate the Herald Tribune article -- probably
      late January 1925 -- though I'm not sure the Seattle library has
      microfilm for the Herald Tribune.

      Anyone have direct and immediate access to the Trib?