3269correction, Erle Stanley Gardner

    May 4, 2003
      tj

      I just checked my collection and I got the book wrong. It was a 1st
      edition of Memory Room (1935) that Blanding gave to Erle.

      "To Erle, aloha to one who has contributed many turkey legs to my
      Memory Room...Don Blanding"

      The two writers sure had a turkey connection going!

      As long as I'm talking about my collection, I'll brag about a few
      other items in it (it is the Don Blanding COLLECTOR'S society after
      all!)

      I also have a signed copy of Mostly California given to Hedda Hopper
      by screen actress Adeline De Walt Reynolds (1862-1861) who was known
      as "Grandma" in Hollywood. There is a signed photo of Grandma, and a
      Hedda Hopper column included in the book, as well as a signed
      Blanding photo inscribed to Hedda. Don and Grandma were very good
      friends, and Don dedicated a poem to Hedda in TODAY IS HERE.

      I have a true first edition of The Virgin of Waikiki (1926) which was
      owned by Trem Carr, an early movie producer from Hollywood. I believe
      he was a member of the Wampus Club that Don spoke to.

      There is a first edition of Leaves from a Grass House which was owned
      by Honolulu socialite Sybil Hocking. She ended up marrying a New York
      man and died in a NY sanitarium at the tender age of 26.

      I own a bound book of Don's Fort Pierce newspaper columns which was
      inscribed and given to his mother-in-law in 1941.

      I have a poetry book which was once in Don's personal library and has
      his ornate book plate, which he gave to a friend at some point.

      But enough about my collection, who else has pieces in their
      collection that they want to bring to the "show and tell?" Michael,
      tj, Cadia...