      From: Cadia Los <duchess@...>
      To: aloha-donblanding@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Friday, January 03, 2003 7:08 AM
      Subject: [aloha-donblanding] Re: Bed/Breakfasts - Carmel area

      Good going, TJ!

      While you're at it, why not propose an annual Don Blanding Day in
      Carmel. Maybe his November 7 birthday or May 1 Lei Day?

      The 1927 S-B microfilms have yielded lots of wonderful stuff.
      Besides the Uncle Don bedtime stories (some published in the S-B),
      there's also an article by DB about his first airplane ride to catch
      a rainbow! He also wrote an extensive review of Clifford Gessler's
      book of poetry, "Kanaka Moon." (CG was the S-B's arts-literature
      editor; the book was illustrated by A.S. McLeod and published by
      Dodd, Mead.)

      As I read, I have no doubt that DB was mentored by a whole who's who
      of writers and artists in Honolulu. His style is unique and by 1927
      he was becoming very well known in Hawaii. "Flowers of the Rainbow"
      was heavily promoted as "the ideal steamer gift" and both Hawaii and
      California promoters were pushing Hawaii as a prime tourist
      destination. Even Alex McLeod and John Kelly -- both on the S-B
      staff -- did not get the newspaper ad space that DB did in 1926-1927!

      I need to read one more microfilm roll by January 8, then I'll find
      time to organize and transcribe.

      One of my New Year's resolutions is to transcribe the 1937 thesis
      about DB. It's only 85 pages; if I do 2 pages a day.... I tried
      OCR on a few pages -- all it does is scramble things and create
      typos! Easier to just sit and type.

      Then there's finishing the series of 1928 articles about Lei
      Day...and the 1953-1957 weekly columns. Just 1 or 2 articles a
      day....

      ~~Cadia

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor