2570Re: [aloha-donblanding] Digest Number 356

  • Clare Telford
    Aug 10, 2001
      Hi,
      We moved to the area about a year ago and I too have
      been most interested in this. As yet have been unable
      to uncover any connection but have been seeking out
      copies of the publication noted in my email that was
      put out by Gavin Arthur from his center for
      intellectual and spiritual discovery at Moy Mell, the
      settlement in the Dunes at Oceano. I have had no luck
      in this regard. I do not believe there are now any
      known survivors of the Dunites of Oceano so asking
      questions of anyone who actually lived there is not
      possible.
      Something interesting which I have not had time to
      follow up on is a possible connection with the "United
      Lodge of Theosophists" and which began in 1909 by H.P.
      Blavatsky and William Q. Judge, which flourished in
      the region at the same time and proximity as the
      Dunites.
      Theosophy concerned itself with the truer
      realization of the SELF making for a more profound
      conviction of Universal Brotherhood. There is a
      Temple of the People still existing in Halycon - a
      "church" and small settlement not far from the dunes.
      The Guardian in Chief of the Temple is one Eleanor L.
      Shumway (templeofthepeople@...). I had
      previously inquired of her what connection they may
      have had with the Dunites of Oceano and she stated the
      following:
      "Our connection with the Dunites was informal. As
      people with similar views on spirituality and the
      interdependence of all life, there was to-ing and
      fro-ing between the communities, with discussion
      groups, music, visiting and Temple service
      attendance."
      I had wanted to follow up on this in relation to
      Blanding because the whole tenor of the settlement and
      that of the Dunites seemed very much in line with what
      I consider his philosphy to have been. You may wish
      to inquire there as to any connection. If I had the
      free time to do it, I would have pursued this further
      but other "life" has interfered. If you want to follow
      up on this, I wish you luck and will be anxious to
      hear any further information. Clare.
      --- TJMarkle@... wrote:
      > Clare: Do you know more than you are putting out
      > about the Dunites? tj is
      > really intested in this connection and would like
      > more leads and info. I've
      > communicated with Hammond and he has no memory or
      > knowledge of DB associating
      > or publishing with them. Is there more to the
      > story??? tj

      http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic