248[aloha-donblanding] Re: The Fire

  • Keith Emmons
    Feb 2, 2000
      Bill,

      Thank you for listing the quote from 'Farewell to Vagabond's House'...
      glad to know I wasn't imagining the fire part.

      In 'A Talisman', from Today is Here (1946), Blanding mentions this "My
      House of Dreams had crashed about my ears and I had the added
      humiliation of knowing that I had largely provided my own earthquake."
      He says it was during the depression in the 30's. If he is referring to
      his house burning down (and not speaking metaphorically), then I wonder
      if he didn't accidentally start it himself. Being a smoker, the
      possibility exists that he carelessly left a cigarette going somewhere,
      or in bed.