21[aloha-donblanding] Re: Blanding

  • Keith Emmons
    Jan 18, 2000
      > Has anyone spent time in the Honolulu newspaper archives,
      researching the
      > 2 years that Blanding spent in writing daily poems for Aji-no-moto? I
      would
      > suppose this would be an very interesting place to research. I know
      the
      > branch libraries in hawaii have all of this on microfilm but it would
      take a
      > LOT of time to go through, day-by-day .Blanding himself has written
      that some
      > of these poems were re-worked into his first 2 small books... I think
      it has
      > already been discovered that somone who makes a living at writing
      sends his
      > writing to whoever will pay sometimes, and it is difficult to try and
      track
      > these down... did Blanding keep any records? Whatever happened to
      his estate?

      Alas, I haven't the budget at the moment to fly to Hawaii, but I have
      on order through inter-library loan those two years on microfilm, which
      I should be getting soon. It will take time, but a necessary endeavor.
      There may be poems that never made it into any of his volumes of verse,
      and could then be considered "lost" material. It would be great to put
      together a booklet of these particular poems. I believe his estate was
      willed to the Bishop museum.