Re: [ALOCHONA] Who would support the Liberal Democrats?

  • zsyed01@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 31 5:02 AM
      While it is quite promising to see the formation of the new Liberal Democratic Party it still makes one ask many questions. First of all given the history of politics and politicians in our country can we really trust the same politicians who have served under the parties that we know do not have the best interest of the country?

      While we value the legacy of Ziaur Rahman would it be correct to say that the same issues and problems still exist in Bangladesh today?

      Can politicians who have served one party and form another differentiate significantly in their personal opinion and beliefs?

      Bangladesh has limited natural resources, unlimited human resources and potential that has been for the most part ignored by the rest of the world while politicians have continued to fatten their pockets and enrich their lifestyles. Do we dare to have the same politicians no matter how honest in comparison come back under the guise of a different party?

      While most voters usually vote for the lesser of two evils (BNP and AL) having LDP will be voting for the least evil party.

      What Bangladesh needs is completely fresh blood. Yes one could say that lack of experience in politics and government would be detrimental to our country but seriously could it get any worse? I would much rather have such noted members of BNP who want to form a different party serve as advisors to new members who know and feel the changes in Bangladesh, the people and the lifestyle and its goals rather than individuals from the old world who are still too familiar with Bangladesh after Liberation. This era should be the time for those born after liberation. We are grateful for the millions who fought to make our country independent but its time to move on. We can stay in our past and deal with dynastic political parties but rather have a party infused with fresh blood, new people interested in making real changes with our system. People who are brave enough to tackle with the corruption that is instilled to the very cores of our society. People who are smart enough of find means to tackle the abject poverty and the illiteracy.

      It is true that what I have espoused so far seems like naïve ideology but the reality is we need people with ideas and patriotism who would think twice about supporting nepotism and favoritism and support the free-market economy more. And LDP with past politicians do not seem to have these qualities necessary for a better Bangladesh .

      Zeenat Syed