Building ICT capacity in Enterprise

  • hassansadia05
    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 8 12:12 PM
      The country has suffered tremendously due to the decision to
      assimilate the unqualified person into the administration soon after
      the independence. Now that the country has got rid of these
      incompetent administrators recently after long 30 years through
      their retirement we are in process of repeating the same mistake by
      transferring the under qualified project staffs into the revenue
      setup.

      The recruitment in the project has been compromised by recruiting
      candidates having inadequate qualification. The recruitment of IT
      personnel in different projects has been severely undermined by the
      recruiters with the pretext that qualified IT professionals do not
      apply for positions in project. The result of undermining the
      project by the decision makers have left the country with failed
      projects in hand. For some the projects have been the means of
      overseas trips. The approving authority of the projects - the
      planning commission is the hub of all misdeeds. The officers of the
      planning commission approves project only after ensuring their
      overseas tour or ensuring job for their incompetent relatives. The
      scrutiny of passports of the planning commission officers will give
      the grim picture of wastage and unnecessary overseas travel at the
      expense of state exchequer. The government should curtail the
      overseas travel by the planning commission officers through projects
      implemented by other ministries and departments without delay. This
      will ensure that the projects are approved on merits not on the
      associated benefit in the form of study tours or in kinds to the
      approving authority.

      The quality of human resource has always been the deciding factor
      between successful and the failed enterprise. The state as an
      enterprise should be run by the competent people. The vision of
      competent personnel running the government is a cherished desire of
      all. The ICT has changed the way of life and the ways of governance.
      I do not see any wisdom in recruiting below par person to run the
      ICT department of the country. The difference on the perception of
      the developed world and Bangladesh is starkly opposite. The world
      looks for the best to run the ICT department whereas we strive to
      put our global worst in the ICT department. The world looks for
      their successful bureaucrat to run the ICT ministry we look for our
      failed bureaucrat to run our ICT ministry. The world looks for the
      highly capable person to lead the ministry we strive to get rid of
      our worst through placement in the ICT ministry.

      The time has now come for the change. The bar to the excellent from
      excelling must be brought down. The illogical recruitment rules for
      assimilating the misfits from the project to the revenue setup
      without scrutiny of the academic and other qualifications through
      proper written and verbal aptitude tests should be stopped. All
      process of discrimination for the ICT professional like mandatory
      condition of membership to the Bangladesh Computer Society should be
      scraped. The mandatory membership to any trade union or society is
      also contravenes the basic law of the land.

      The Bangladesh Computer Society unlike its comparable societies has
      turned into a mafia, extorting the poor job seekers for government
      jobs in the name of membership and associated charge. The society's
      membership criterion have been compromised and the incompetents and
      unqualified has been given different categories of membership to
      create a loyal vote bank. The unacceptable academic qualification
      backed with member certificate of the society has turned the ICT
      recruitment rules into a mockery. A Harvard or MIT or Princeton
      graduate with highest academic achievements is unfit for Bangladesh
      of Government job unless baptized by the high priest of the
      Bangladesh Computer Society. The ICT professional recruitment rule
      needs a thorough overhauling to shed the mandatory baptization
      requirement and make way for the Computer Science and Computer
      Science and Engineering graduates to prove their mettle. I earnestly
      request our honorable prime minister being the chairperson of the
      ICT Task Force to immediately intervene and stop the assimilation of
      the unqualified quacks from the projects into the revenue setup,
      ensure selection of ICT projects on merit rather than on condition
      of incentive to the approving authority and to revise the ICT
      professional recruitment rules for better tomorrow.

      [M:IA]
    • Shahed
      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 19 1:59 PM
        Dear Alochoks,

        After successful (somewhat, eventual success is yet to be seen)
        implementation of Anti-Corruption Commission (ACC), next focus of the
        government should be setting up a commission to protect consumers
        right.

        It should cover not only food products and services, rather the
        commission should be mandated with all kinds of protecting Bangladeshi
        consumers in all sectors such as food products, health products,
        mobile phones and other electronics products, transportation products,
        entertainment products - everything that we buy.

        Following are extracts from a superb series reporting highlighting the
        dismal situation in food and medicine sector by Daily Star reporter
        Pinaki Roy.

        Alochoks, please share your thoughts regarding this idea of a
        Consumers' Rights Commission, whether it will be complementary to the
        actions of ACC and how it could influence the overall govenance in
        Bangladesh. Also, special request to the expatriates to share their
        experiences and thoughts about how they have seen similar bodies in
        respective countries they currently live in.

        Thanks,
        Shahed

        ======Excerpts and links for Pinaki Roy's Report============

        "Please write down that 99 percent of the food items we get for tests
        are adulterated and substandard. The market is flooded with
        adulterated food," Dr. Md. Zahurul Islam, head of the Public Health
        and Drug Testing Laboratory, told The Daily Star.

        Lack of political will, coupled with crippling manpower shortages in
        inspection agencies, has resulted in a breakdown of the government's
        food regulatory system, allowing culprits to flourish while the public
        is slowly poisoned by adulterated food, an investigation by The Daily
        Star concludes.

        It is the constitutional mandate of the government, as outlined in
        section 18 (1), to ensure quality food for the public. Fulfilling that
        mandate means adopting effective measures to prevent harmful foods
        from the reaching the market.

        Other government agencies suffer from similar staff constraints. The
        Bangladesh Standard and Testing Institute (BSTI) is responsible for
        ensuring the quality of all food products throughout the country, but
        has only 13 field officers to carry out this colossal duty. In Dhaka,
        only 18 sanitary inspectors of the City Corporation are tasked with
        ensuring the food quality for more than ten million people.

        The Bangladesh Pure Food Rules of 1967, the law addressing food, is
        now 38 years old, armed with such weak fines that traders are hardly
        intimidated by it. The highest penalty for adulterating food is Tk
        5,000. But the expenses involved in proving such cases in court and
        realising the penalties are much higher.

        "If we file a case, the defaulter does not even go to a pleader, as
        the fees of the pleaders are much higher than his penalty," said an
        official from the health directorate, requesting anonymity.

        Eating dangerously - Watchdogs' role mostly missing
        Consumers suffer as agencies lack manpower, political will
        Pinaki Roy
        http://www.thedailystar.net/2005/06/17/d5061701044.htm

        Fake medicines reign - Tk 700cr fake drugs smuggled into or produced a
        year; link of small industries alleged
        Pinaki Roy
        http://www.thedailystar.net/2005/06/16/d5061601022.htm

        Eating Dangerously - Rotten fish, dirty plates in eateries
        18 DCC inspectors left to monitor 5,000 food outlets
        Pinaki Roy
        http://www.thedailystar.net/2005/06/15/d5061501022.htm

        Eating Dangerously - Food tainted with toxic colours, risky mixings
        Adulteration spree poses grave health risks; authorities lack means to
        check cheating
        Pinaki Roy
        http://www.thedailystar.net/2005/06/14/d5061401011.htm

        Eating dangerously - Showcased sweetmeats not what they seem
        Pinaki Roy
        http://www.thedailystar.net/2005/06/13/d5061301011.htm

        [M:HR]
      • manbil9
        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 24 3:33 PM
          Dear Alochoks,

          Excellent writeup by Mr. Andy Mahmud !! My sentiments matched almost
          90%.

          The 10% where I don't agree with Mr. Mahmud is (some of it already
          quoted by Mr. Hannan and others)

          -- Indians in my opinion will never look upon Bangladesh favorably
          as a respected economic partner if some geopolitical perceptions
          prevail within New Delhi diplomatic circles. They see Bangladesh as
          a mild (eventually critical) thorn on their side in the NE seven
          sisters area as well as Assam and Tripura. The China equation,
          chicken's neck, ISI involvement (whether real or not) will drive
          this perception. But then perceptions are what drives actions in
          today's world. Ergo -- have we done enough to dispel these notions
          through diplomatic channels? Have we ascertained that is beneficial
          to do so politically? The earlier we start -- the more pragmatic the
          results. We don't need to be India's lackey or friend. If we stop
          being a perceived irritation they'll be happy enough.

          -- Bangladesh (has been, is now and will be) by and large a Muslim
          nation-state, all pretenses notwithstanding. It may treat it's
          minorities (hopefully) equally but the 150 Million muslims aren't
          going to turn Hindu or Christian anytime soon -- despite the wishes
          and machinations of 'Hindu Rashtra' idea-mongers. Some of the 'diet-
          coke' Muslims in Bangladesh will act quite secular at times (More
          Hindu or Christian in outlook, attire or lifestyle) but the
          overwhelming peer pressure to conform to the Muslim 'label' (i.e.
          identity) will persist for the long term -- especially as a
          collective consciousness within our national entity. Look at Turkey
          for example. Erdogan (Turkish P.M.) can cry hoarse on being secular
          and the Turkish Govt. can try to be all European -- but who decides
          where Turkey's future is? The Turks. The Islamists are edging closer
          and closer to victory in that country. I think Madeliene Albright
          said it best -- If there were free elections in Islamic countries
          today -- We'd have all Islamist governments leading them. But I
          digress. I'm sure you all get the point. The people in any country
          will ultimately get their wish. In Bangladesh's case it won't be
          full bore Islamist Govt. but along the lines of with other Islamic
          economies like Malaysia, Indonesia and other Middle-Eastern Govts.

          -- Therefore Bangladesh being a homogenous outpost of Muslim people -
          - cannot peg its success by aligning its future 100% (Not even 75%)
          with India which eventually will be for all intent and purposes a
          Hindu Rashtra (secular pretenses notwithstanding). India is there
          as a gargantuan neighbor and it is real. We will trade because of
          proximity and hopefully the balance of trade will be a bit more even-
          keeled toward our advantage. But -- we have to align our future
          with 'level-headed' and pragmatic Asian Muslim economies (namely
          Malaysia and Indonesia) because that is where I see our collective
          (multi-national) future as a Muslim nation-state. I don't always
          agree with Dr. Mahathir Muhammad -- however I do agree with his
          pragmatic idea in having a common Islamic currency -- maybe a
          common 'Dinar' among all Islamic economies (like the 'Euro') to
          strengthen Muslim economies. We should think about these ideas to
          let Bangladesh assume a stronger role in the larger Muslim world and
          prosper together with other Islamic countries that way.

          > India's portion of Muslim population is larger than total
          population of Pakistan and Bangladesh combined. In my humble
          opinion, its wrong to approach and analyze the bilateral issues
          between these two countries in context of religion. >

          While I agree with the facts above -- numbers alone don't make a
          political equation. Those numerous Indian Muslims do not belong now
          to the Indian power-structure -- nor do I see that happening anytime
          soon because of our 'subcontinental' mentality (common racial and
          discriminatory practices). [Yes yes I know about Azeem Premji at
          WIPRO :) -- he is one in a Million]. Indian Muslims will always be
          minorities in a largely Hindu Land. I claim to have quite a few
          Indian Muslim friends and they say their options are,

          1. Either to migrate to Pakistan
          2. Remain in India and try to 'blend in' by adopting becoming close
          to a secular Hindu person (Shahrukh Khan wearing red powder on
          forehead for example).

          That is reality for Indian Muslims. No matter how patriotic an
          Indian Mussalman is -- his credibility and his loyalty can always be
          questioned in India (and often is).

          > My solution is to face up to the facts, viz.
          >
          > (1) India is huge and powerful
          > (2) It is rapidly globalising
          > (3) The country has a large intellectual pool (and I don't
          mean
          > poets)
          > (4) Within the next 20 years or so, India should become a
          > economic superpower

          -- I wouldn't be so sure. True -- Indians are planning their ascent
          to superpower status. They'd like to be in the Security Council.
          They're doing great with Call center and BPO outsourcing businesses.
          But like my Asian friends say -- the true measure of a country's
          economic status lies in the quality of it's airport toilets (well --
          public toilets in general) and India on that count doesn't even
          compare to puny countries like Singapore, much less China or Japan.
          I'd advise those who are so convinced about Indian Superpower status
          to visit that country (and its toilets in particular) to refresh
          their memory. Indians are fond of overstating things (as all
          subcontinentals are) and some of us are a little too convinced of
          Indian greatness. Rest assured that all of their country does not
          look a lot different that parts of Bangladesh and Pakistan
          (Sometimes actually worse). The existence of one Leela Kempinski
          hotel (or three) in a country does not mean the rest of the country
          looks like it. Being a superpower takes more than re-engineering a
          50's era US Scout rocket and then equipping it with a small nuclear
          warhead or welding together Russian subs or ships from blueprints.

          -- I'm also not very sure of the high-technology (Nuclear, space
          technologies) status of a country when I see that most of the Indian
          Pickle jars are leaking. If they can't make a proper screw-on lid
          for a pickle jar then how can you be so sure of the efficacy of
          their Missile technology?? :) (I couldn't resist this as I did try
          some Indian pickle of late).

          But seriously -- I know of at least a dozen '10 Million dollar DRDO
          projects' that have simply not worked and are money wasters. The
          Indian people love being duped in this fashion. Quick examples are
          the Arjuna Tank Project(dud), Kaveri Turbofan engine project (dud)
          and then the biggest dud of all duds, the LCA 'cheap fighter'
          project, the 'gnat' of the new millenium in typical Indian 'frugal'
          fashion -- which didn't end up being frugal at all!! (This is the
          subject of another complete thread altogether.) I could go on and
          on -- but I rest my case. On the other hand -- most Chinese projects
          (the J-10 fighter for example) are technically at par with western
          projects and are 'marketable' outside their country -- unlike Indian
          projects.

          > There is little point in grumbling about India. We should do our
          best to develop a partnership with that country. It will require
          swallowing our pride, but our best hope is that when India takes-off
          > we'll be firmly rooted to its tail.

          I agree grumbling is pointless. But we should negotiate from a
          position of strength -- whether economically or
          politically. 'Swallowing our pride' won't make us any deraer to
          Indians. Since we _are_ buying their products -- they (Indian
          Businessmen) _should_ care if we take that seven billion dollar
          (unoffically) market away from them (even half of it). They _will_
          take heed. This is not rogue behavior but very pragmatic behavior.
          Only thing that is lacking is political will. I also don't think we
          should peg our future on Indian leftover scraps they throw us on
          their ascent to first-world status. We don't need to wait that long.
          The premise that Bangladesh economy will not get better before
          India's is a myth that we need to work hard on breaking. And we can
          do it only if we stopped our infighting.

          [M:HR]
        • alochona@yahoogroups.com
          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 18, 2005
            Dear Alochoks

            By now most Alochoks should be aware of the events of the last 48
            hours in Bangladesh. For further information, please see the following
            link:

            http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/4161786.stm

            We would like to invite the Alochoks to consider the following
            questions in the aftermath of these events:

            1. Why has this happened?
            2. How should the government and opposition parties respond?
            3. What can be done to prevent this from happening again?
            4. What are the implications of these events?
            5. Where do these events leave Bangladesh in the US led "War on Terror"?

            It is undoubtedly an emotive subject and many avenues of discussion
            become involved, some more relevant than others but all tied in some
            way to the matter at hand. For this reason, Alochona Management will
            suspend its moderation policy for the next 2 weeks so that as many
            viewpoints and opinions can be heard as possible.

            Please note that customs of etiquette and language still apply.

            We look forward to hearing from you.

            Regards

            Alochona Management