Appeal from Children of Slain SAMS Kibria

  • Maksud Labib
    Message 1 of 120 , Jan 31, 2005
      Dear Alochoks:

      Forwared below, please find appeal along with a press release from Dr. Reza Kibria and Dr. Nazli Kibria, children of slain SAMS Kibria, to all around the globe to the task of ensuring that their father's killers are brought to justice and hope is restored in Bangladesh.

      You could contact Dr. Reza at Rkibria@....

      Thank you.

      Maksud Labib

      Dhaka, Bangladesh: January 31, 2005

      Dear Friends

      The time for grief is short. Our family and those in Bangladesh and around the world who cared for our father must now turn to the task of ensuring that our father's killers are brought to justice and hope is restored in Bangladesh.

      The failure of the Government to arrange for our father's treatment after the attack or arrange helicopter transportation to Dhaka suggests that writing to the Government of Bangladesh is not particularly useful. The Government's brutal attacks on peaceful protesters (the most vicious attacks focused on AL MPs) is another source of concern. The initial international campaign should focus on national Parliaments.

      We are are in the process of setting up a website. There are a lot of other intiatives being taken. The key thing should be that the campaign must be sustained and effective. There is no assurance of safety for any of us under this regime - the campaign must continue at all costs even if something happens to us or other members of our family.

      We attach a statement given to the press yesterday. We would be grateful if it could be circulated as widely as possible.

      Dr. Reza Kibria
      Dr. Nazli Kibria

      Start Press Release:

      January 30, 2005

      We are saddened and distressed that the tragedy of my father's assassination is being used by the BNP-Jamaat Government to spread more lies. It is therefore important to set the record straight on a few key issues.

      The Prime Minister has apparently made a statement that she requested permission to visit us but did not receive any response. No permission is required to visit a bereaved family, but in any case we did not know of any such request. Much more important than any such gesture and a few meaningless phrases would be real action on her part to bring my father's killers to justice. If she did this there would be no need to come to us � we would ourselves go to her
      office to thank her.

      My father might have lived if he had been transported to Dhaka by helicopter or if he had been given treatment at the Government medical facilities or even if he had been sent a properly-equipped ambulance. He was denied these facilities. The reasons for these failures should be within the purview of any serious investigation.

      The Speaker Mr. Sircar has failed to accurately report to the press what my mother said to him on the telephone. He seemed preoccupied with the convention of holding a Janaaza on the South Plaza of the Sangsad Bhavan. My mother asked him why he failed in his much more significant duties of ensuring the security of Members of Parliament such as my father, arranging medical treatment or helicopter transportation to Dhaka. He made no attempt to visit BIRDEM hospital, where my father was taken, or attend his Janaaza. It is very sad Mr. Sircar appears to regard his position as that of the Speaker of the BNP.

      The past record of the BNP and the BNP-Jamaat regimes with regard to investigations of past attacks on the Awami League do not give us any confidence in their capability or interest in finding my father's killers. It has not escaped anyone's attention that the target of the bomb attacks is the Awami League. Each investigation appears to fizzle out � the killing of my father's colleagues Ahsanullah Master and Ivy Rahman and many others have gone unpunished. The Government's inadequate response to the carefully orchestrated attack of August 21 on Sheikh Hasina is another sign of its ill-intent or at the very least, gross incompetence.

      The Government has reportedly agreed to an international investigation of my father's assassination. Any such investigation should be genuinely independent with no participation by any Government agency in its management or supervision. The Government should cooperate when requested, and any report should be made available in its entirety to the public. We have no confidence in a government-supervised "joint" investigation.

      My father wrote the original position paper that led to SAARC. We feel that at this time it is inappropriate to hold such a summit meeting, hosted by a "failed government" led by a group of people who have lost the moral authority to govern this country.

      There have been street protests all over the country, some of them violent. I would urge restraint to all those who respected my father and knew his commitment to peaceful democratic processes. Of course the Government has left the people of this country no other forum to express their opposition to its policies. It is shameful that MPs of the opposition are not even allowed to speak freely in Parliament.

      There are good and patriotic people in every public institution and agency of the State, as well as every area of private endeavor. We would like to say to them, "The time has come to take a stand". They know that their ultimate loyalties lie with this great country of ours, and not any group of unprincipled individuals who have captured power.

      This latest attack on my father goes beyond the world of politics. No one is safe under this Government � and there is real fear in every house. Public interest in such incidents tends to wane after a few months, but the people of this country must now realize the terrible price of inaction.

      Dr. Reza Kibria

      End Press Release

      [M:IA]
    • hassansadia05
      Message 120 of 120 , Mar 31, 2005
        The dismal performance in ICT sector is not only limited to the
        government but this disease has also severely affected the
        international development partners. The UNDP office in Bangladesh is no
        exception, It reminds me an old Indian poetry "Har shaks par Uloo
        baithe hain, us gulshan ka kya kahena hai" meaning What is to say about
        this garden where owls are sitting on each branches.

        It is really amazing to see that god father culture has pierced the
        walls of UNDP. The negative activities of a UNDP intern and the ill-
        designed SDNP project are well known to all. It really hurts me to see
        that a 2nd year student of BBA working as intern has been graduated as
        ICT expert in UNDP. The universal fact is that a donkey will always be
        a donkey; it can not graduate to Horse. We have so many Computer
        Science graduates sitting idle due to lack of employment opportunities
        but the society is reduced to onlooker. It really hurts, us NRB when we
        visit our home to see the rotting situation

        Sadia Hossain

        [M:IA]