Bangladesh's status in TI report: 8 years

  • Haroon.Rashid
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 29, 2002
      Dear Alochoks,

      Bangladesh in TI report last 8 years:

      1995=Bangladesh not in the list (Indonesia scored highest 41th)
      1996=51th (Nigeria scored highest 54th)
      1997=Bangladesh not in the list (Nigeria scored highest 52th)
      1998=Bangladesh not in the list (Cameroon scored highest 85th)
      1999=Bangladesh not in the list (Cameroon scored highest 99th)
      2000=Bangladesh not in the list (Nigeria scored highest 90th)
      2001=91th (highest score)
      2002=102nd (highest score)

      Transparency International, a Berlin based organization publishing their
      report on worldwide corruption for last 8 years. It is somehow one of the
      most acceptable report in the world so far. We Bangladeshis were never aware
      about this report much until we become number one corrupted country in their
      list last year 2001. Same thing happened this year too.

      One obvious reaction we use to observe from the government and opposition
      political party is AVOID RESPONSIBILITY.

      Once the report publishes, government become embarrassed and try to
      hide/ignore their faults. On the other hand political parties out of power
      become happy apparently, because it is as per their word "government's
      responsibility only". Thus we can't move forward to a perfect solution. The
      blame game get us down and down every year.

      But what is the benefit of this blame game? If we look at the above ranking
      of 8 years, Bangladesh was not in the list of TI index for as much as 5
      years. Does that mean we didn't have any corruption in those 5 years? NO. We
      have, we had and we will have the corruption in Bangladesh territory always.
      But no government, no party, no active group stood against it strongly. TI
      used to use data from minimum 3 source to rectify a corruption. If some year
      the data for a country is not enough to rely on, TI does not include that
      country in the report.

      To discover corruption and irregularity from our country we don't need
      report from TI essentially. Our internal investigation is enough and we just
      need to go for an action to protect our economy from the hydra-headed
      monster of corruption. But that doesn't mean that we have to dishonor or
      disregard or ignore TI report. If we can use it in positive sense, if our
      government become more aware instead of ignoring the fact, corruption will
      get down to a controllable level and in the long run we will be able to see
      us within the top-20 like another third world country Chile (Chile ranked
      17th even before Germany, France, Japan etc!).

      Peace for all,
      Haroon Rashid

      [M: TJ]