Blame Game

  • Cyrus Zulkarnaian
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 31 9:26 PM
      I always had serious reservations about pseudo-intellectuals who find leafy
      shades of the "system" which they so vehemently denounce. Intellectuals were
      rebels, radicals who broke down the established system and modeled a new one
      through teachings, through understanding the system very well. They were
      even persecuted for having different ideas, if my history lesson is not
      completely futile. In my very short mundane life, I had the displeasure of
      coming across a new mutated version of intellectuals. Better or Worse is a
      debatable question altogether. These mutated intellectuals suppose
      themselves gifted in realm of understanding the system with little or
      nothing to support their supposition. They raise their index fingers often
      and scream at the deaf heavens in a vocal competition. But when it comes to
      revolt, when it comes to check the balances of who-has-done-what - these
      intellectuals shrink like mimosas at nine of clock.

      Blame me for being obnoxious, if you like. But I despise him who doesn't
      dare to blame the generations. We carry the legacy of our predecessors who
      in their freedom-crazed mind did not realize that evolution lasts longer
      than revolution. Yes, I blame them. I point finger at their flowery tombs
      and cry like wounded Caesar, "Et tu Brute?" I look at the map of my country
      and blame millions of people for putting soporific over the tawdriness of
      their lives. Our predecessors bear the responsibility of giving birth to a
      handicapped democracy and we are responsible for prolonging its miserable
      life.

      We have the luxury of siding/opposing the "pro-liberation force". But who
      were the pro-liberation force, per se. Wasn't it 98% of the population who
      demanded and fought for sovereignty and independence? If that is so, then
      it's pointless to blame the leaders. We have acted in a synchronized
      stupidity and selected/elected our leaders. Leaders don't make followers,
      its always the other way around.

      Since independence, we have leniently (re)elected, under the banner of
      various political parties with no strong ideologies and given them the
      authority to govern our democracy, lives and even our personal beliefs. We
      have experimented with tyrant, widow and orphan. Nothing worked, if I may be
      a little cynical. Why? Because we are enjoying the so longed for,
      prematurely ejaculated independence of ours that we have taken for granted.
      As long as our savings account get bigger, who cares if the family next door
      can't pay the rent ! We are content by our occasional gathering at large
      rallies and bitter-sweet words about freedom, revolution and democracy. At
      the time of dusk, we all go home hoping to benefit something out of the
      system that supposedly oppresses us. Face it ! The system that we are so
      eager to break is actually us, our living, and perhaps (unfortunately) our
      future generation as well. No one realizes that the system is not a sentient
      being. Without us, it can not exist.

      Don't ask me about the cure for I don't know any. I am not a radical
      intellectual, nor a leader whose words would make millions of people to
      stand united to overthrow 330 parasites who live on us. I too, am a mutated
      intellectuals who fears the almighty bureaucrats, the super-powerful system
      that I so dream of changing someday. I too lament about collective interests
      at seminars and consortiums, when my personal interests are fulfilled to the
      maximum. I too, am a sinner who preaches the virtue of chastity. Hey, don't
      blame me. I am just a Bangladeshi.

      Cyrus Zulkarnaian

      P.S. If my words anger you in any way, please feel free to tear off the
      pseudo-intellectual mask that you are wearing.

      [M:MS] I can not but emphasize the statement, 'The system that we are so
      eager to break is actually us, our living, and perhaps (unfortunately) our
      future generation as well. No one realizes that the system is not a sentient
      being. Without us, it can not exist.'

      It is perhaps the time when we should re-evaluate our own activities, our own
      words and examine the masks that we wear. Breaking something, which exists since
      only God knows when, is not easy; Foresight and persistence are qualities we
      must cultivate among us. No?