Re: The Specter of the Past!

  • Asif Saleh
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 29, 2002
      I do not want to accuse a generation. I am accusing the pro liberation force leadership in Bangladesh for their failure to bring the killers to justice. The biggest of the failures was last five years. All these issues could have buried to the ground when they were in power. But the leadership and more astonishingly the intellectuals who give bibriti, they did very little to move this cause. We all know who they are. They were quite happy to shut up if they were given some director roles of organizations (the proverbial "halua-ruti"). This cause and all the progressive causes have taken a body blow and we are just starting to discover the long term damages of it. Please do not try to label me as BNP or anti liberation which is common phenomenon. My anger towards AL and the intellectuals are more because my expectations of them were higher. In this context, I would like to give an excerpt of a write up at our messageboard

      "
      It's time the AL stopped wrapping the liberation sari around itself in order to get votes. It's patent on 1971 expired a long time ago when it came down to the level of everyone else and became common political thugs. Anyone who doesn't like the fact that the AL has delivered nothing constructive post-liberation cannot be anti-liberation for simply speaking their opinion. Perhaps like many of you and others all around Bangladesh, many members of my family were deeply involved in the struggle for independence. Some called themselves freedom fighters. I think I am far angrier at the AL for losing it's values and it's way because AL blood runs through my veins. This party once meant something, today it does not. There are no fresh ideas for moving the country forward. Just the same old desparate attempt to use liberation as a shield against the big bad world.
      "
      Also I got an email from a victim of the war. Here is an excerpt:

      " Even my family members do not feel any encouragement to take any initiative in this matter. Because absence of public sentiment and the failure of pro liberation leadership to cooperate in this regard is totally disturbing. Shohid Jononi Jahanara Imam once gave that needed leadership, people aroused in favor of that GONO ADALOT and punishment for the killers, they came out to street and political parties were FORCED to take part in that too. Anyhow we lost that momentum; the major damage was done by AL government! We thought AL government would give leadership and finish the unfinished task of Shohid Jononi! But as a result Nation was betrayed by the so-called 'patriots' for their own opportunity sake! Nation is paying for this political blunder and will do so for indefinite period of time. "

      The point I am trying to be making should be clear from the above. Such is the common public sentiment towards liberation war movement now. We have trivilalised "muktijudhdher chetona" and "secularism" by using it en masse for political gains last 30
      years. Now when/if we see actually saw the "chetona" and "secularism:" under threat after the last election, majority will not give a hoot and will term it a propaganda of AL.

      The whole point of this discussion is not to play a blame game but to highlight the need for a cleaning up of the house. Before AL or a pro-liberation movement gains momentum again, they need to realise these faults and openly discuss what went wrong and take action. To do that, word has to come from inside the house. Branding everybody rajakar who criticizes the current leadership never helped and will not help. However, if word does not come from inside and blind support is prefferred over objective analysis, then this party and the movement will get what it deserves. It will be dead for good.

      Best Regards,
      Asif Saleh

      [M:MS]
    • Cyrus Zulkarnaian
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 31, 2002
        I always had serious reservations about pseudo-intellectuals who find leafy
        shades of the "system" which they so vehemently denounce. Intellectuals were
        rebels, radicals who broke down the established system and modeled a new one
        through teachings, through understanding the system very well. They were
        even persecuted for having different ideas, if my history lesson is not
        completely futile. In my very short mundane life, I had the displeasure of
        coming across a new mutated version of intellectuals. Better or Worse is a
        debatable question altogether. These mutated intellectuals suppose
        themselves gifted in realm of understanding the system with little or
        nothing to support their supposition. They raise their index fingers often
        and scream at the deaf heavens in a vocal competition. But when it comes to
        revolt, when it comes to check the balances of who-has-done-what - these
        intellectuals shrink like mimosas at nine of clock.

        Blame me for being obnoxious, if you like. But I despise him who doesn't
        dare to blame the generations. We carry the legacy of our predecessors who
        in their freedom-crazed mind did not realize that evolution lasts longer
        than revolution. Yes, I blame them. I point finger at their flowery tombs
        and cry like wounded Caesar, "Et tu Brute?" I look at the map of my country
        and blame millions of people for putting soporific over the tawdriness of
        their lives. Our predecessors bear the responsibility of giving birth to a
        handicapped democracy and we are responsible for prolonging its miserable
        life.

        We have the luxury of siding/opposing the "pro-liberation force". But who
        were the pro-liberation force, per se. Wasn't it 98% of the population who
        demanded and fought for sovereignty and independence? If that is so, then
        it's pointless to blame the leaders. We have acted in a synchronized
        stupidity and selected/elected our leaders. Leaders don't make followers,
        its always the other way around.

        Since independence, we have leniently (re)elected, under the banner of
        various political parties with no strong ideologies and given them the
        authority to govern our democracy, lives and even our personal beliefs. We
        have experimented with tyrant, widow and orphan. Nothing worked, if I may be
        a little cynical. Why? Because we are enjoying the so longed for,
        prematurely ejaculated independence of ours that we have taken for granted.
        As long as our savings account get bigger, who cares if the family next door
        can't pay the rent ! We are content by our occasional gathering at large
        rallies and bitter-sweet words about freedom, revolution and democracy. At
        the time of dusk, we all go home hoping to benefit something out of the
        system that supposedly oppresses us. Face it ! The system that we are so
        eager to break is actually us, our living, and perhaps (unfortunately) our
        future generation as well. No one realizes that the system is not a sentient
        being. Without us, it can not exist.

        Don't ask me about the cure for I don't know any. I am not a radical
        intellectual, nor a leader whose words would make millions of people to
        stand united to overthrow 330 parasites who live on us. I too, am a mutated
        intellectuals who fears the almighty bureaucrats, the super-powerful system
        that I so dream of changing someday. I too lament about collective interests
        at seminars and consortiums, when my personal interests are fulfilled to the
        maximum. I too, am a sinner who preaches the virtue of chastity. Hey, don't
        blame me. I am just a Bangladeshi.

        Cyrus Zulkarnaian

        P.S. If my words anger you in any way, please feel free to tear off the
        pseudo-intellectual mask that you are wearing.

        [M:MS] I can not but emphasize the statement, 'The system that we are so
        eager to break is actually us, our living, and perhaps (unfortunately) our
        future generation as well. No one realizes that the system is not a sentient
        being. Without us, it can not exist.'

        It is perhaps the time when we should re-evaluate our own activities, our own
        words and examine the masks that we wear. Breaking something, which exists since
        only God knows when, is not easy; Foresight and persistence are qualities we
        must cultivate among us. No?