WTC Watch: broken hearts

  • Justina Gomes
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 16, 2001
      It has been four days since the biggest terrorist
      attack in the USA, however, I can't seem to get over
      it. No such a word has invented to discribe my
      feelings. I am stunned, horrified and at the same time
      angry at those who are making me go through with it. I
      am trying to lift my spirit or give hope to others
      however how do I really do it. Still the pictures of
      the WTC and Pentagon makes me cry. It is a
      overwhelming feeling. Everytime I see the broken
      picture of Pentagon memories comes and clusters me. I
      remember the times when I drove by those streets with
      friends and family. That is home. It is almost like
      one went to work or school in the morning and when
      returned only to find that the home has been destroyed
      by fire or some other natural destruction. Only this
      time it wasn't nature but the hated in human hearts. I
      can not take this emotion which is suffocating me in
      the corner. Sometime I think people who died are
      actually in better place than us. They are with God.
      We are one, who are still living have to cope with it
      and come back to in term with our daily life. Last
      night I was even afraid to ask my other half how is he
      doing? I could see the pain in his face. He works in a
      hospital. Organizing blood drive, taking care of
      patients, and listening to tv, radio, and people all
      day long about the emotional distress, he is broken up
      into pieces. I tried to tell a joke or two to cheer
      him up just for moment. However, all my attemt failed.
      How do one cheer up someone when that person herself
      broken up inside. My sister tells me she is even
      scared to turn off the light at night. Seriously,
      there should be a manual how to cope with something
      like this. I always believed talking about my sorrows
      and pain will make my heart feel lighter but now I
      find myself in a territory where the more I talk about
      it the heavier my heart fills with sorrows. I try to
      lift my spirit thinking and dreaming about the happy
      times however, my memories are also playing tricks
      with me, too. I can't think anything beside tuesday
      the 11th. Every one saying from coming monday
      everything we will go back to our normal everyday
      life. All I think none of us will ever be the way we
      used to be before Thuesday. This incident will always
      hunt us in our memory and it will take a entire life
      time to get over. Rest of our life this date will
      remind us the horror of ones hated and we will relive
      this day everytime september comes into our life or
      when our next generation ask us what was it like back
      then.

      Justina Gomes

      [M:MS]
    • BullyXena5
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 16, 2001
        this is a speech that I just gave at a local vigil, please excuse the
        grammatical errors. They only exist because I wrote it like I would speak
        it.

        Hello and Assalamu Alaikum. I am an American Bangali Muslim. I was born
        in New York, in fact I was born in City Hospital of Elmhurst. I lived here
        in Maryland practically my whole life. I loved going to New York. I love
        shopping, and just hanging out there. I love going on the subway in New
        York, and loved seeing the Brooklyn Bridge. I enjoyed visiting for the
        millionth time the statue of Liberty, Empire State building, and. . . .The
        twin towers.

        I saw it live. I was watching the news and I saw the first building
        collapse. I burst in to tears. I couldn't control myself. I went in to
        the Stamp Student Union, at University of Maryland College park. That's
        where I go. And there were a bunch of people standing around watching the
        TV. My classmate, he was trying to work his cell phone. I didn't really
        know what happened, so I asked someone else. He told me that my classmate's
        dad worked at World Trade Center. At that moment, I wanted to just run in
        the bathroom and cry. Later we found out he was okay.

        Yesterday was the first time I drove by the Pentagon, and the site of it
        was just disgusting. I felt like throwing up. I went all over the stores
        trying to find American flags Friday. They were all out. I was so very
        mad.

        I have been mad, sad, angry, frustrated, depressed, everything this whole
        week. And I know, I'm not the only Muslim who feels that way. Many watched
        the second plane hit live. Many knew people who worked in the Pentagon and
        World Trade Center. Many Muslims have lost family members in the World
        Trade Centers and Pentagon.

        And to say. . or to feel that we are not AMERICANS, is not only a personal
        insult to us Muslims, but it's also a personal insult to each and every
        single American in this country!!!!

        After all the huge terrible deaths and vandalism that happened this past
        Tuesday, there have been more incidents against us Muslims. Various Mosques
        have been trashed, and filthy writing have been all over it. Two girls were
        stabbed at Tyson's Corner, VA. A guy in Arizona was murdered only because
        his beard seemed too long.

        The American Gov't, the Muslims, and the rest of the American Public
        seemingly are all standing together. But for some reason there is a break
        in the middle. If we can't stand united, how are we going to win this war
        against the terrorists? Because remember, the terrorists have no religion.

        I hope all Muslims have, and are still doing their share of giving blood,
        providing supplies, or just simply praying. We have to be able stand
        stronger than the terrorists, and just show how caring we really are and how
        twisted and horrible the "so-called" Muslims are. I hope we can do our
        share in explaining the correct definition of Jihad instead of the false one
        given by the terrorists.

        I'm just going to now leave everyone with this poem I wrote in English
        class last year. It was written just because I had to, and I didn't believe
        it could happen. I won't read it in its entirety, just selections of it.

        They were the ones, who laughed us to tears,
        Dressing up as cows. Will marry their high school sweethearts,
        One with a dancer, the other a cheerleader.
        Now the two girls wait for their return.

        He was the one, destined to design cars,
        A beloved lacrosse player, a menace on the field;
        A menace on the lot, beware of him and his car.
        Who to warn now, the opposing terrorists, or him?

        He was the one, loved by everyone.
        Yale or Harvard, couldn't decided.
        Our homecoming king, our friend.
        His bleeding heart wants to go home. Now.

        Why do they have to be the ones?
        They are the ones with the future,
        With potential, with love.
        Being somewhere they don't even want to be.

        Two would come back dead,
        Two lucky to stay alive.
        One a cripple, can't drive, can't play.
        The other can't talk,
        Can't laugh, can't cry.
        Sits there and looks
        With blank, empty eyes.

        Maybe it's just me, but last Tuesday was described in this. Remember,
        together we can cry, together we can retaliate, together can we recover, and
        only together can we learn how to smile.

        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 18, 2001
          Dear Friends,

          A Chinese-American colleague passed on the following news item from the
          Oakland Tribune in Oakland, California.

          "About 1,300 Muslims -- including 300 from Bangladesh -- were working in the
          World Trade Center and are missing and presumed dead, said Souleiman Ghali,
          president of the Islamic Society of San Francisco...."

          If true, nearly 25% of the dead would be Muslim and about 6% are
          Bangladeshi.

          Do we have any confirmation of such numbers?

          Take care,

          Ahmed Badruzzaman

          [M:MS]
        • Tahera Jabeen
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 18, 2001
            Dear All,

            Yesterday I was reading an excellent piece of early '70s that I want to
            share with you as i found it appealing still in the present world context.

            "ROSALIA"

            Original: Orlando Leon (1970s Venezuelan young poet) ; Translated from the
            Spanish by C. Schuftan

            Rosalia Sanchez has seven children,
            twelve diseases, three abortions,
            and a shanty and garbage for a sociologist's fruition.
            Rosalia is twenty seven years, one hundred years, five thousand years old.
            For fifty years, one hundred years, five hundred years,
            Rosalia has needed to eat.
            Who wants to buy the eating machine of Rosalia?
            Who wants to buy five hundred years, five hundred Rosalias?
            ... not making a technical point about the quinquenia?
            Rosalia is a maid who once had a policeman, who once had a share-cropper,
            who once had a child, ... seven times a child.
            Rosalia is made of bones, is made of flesh; the same as a cow, the same as a
            hen,
            but without a pasture, without a coup.
            Hay for Rosalia! Maize for Rosalia! Rice for Rosalia!
            For five hundred, one thousand, twelve thousand years, since the times of Ur
            and Uruk,
            Rosalia has wanted a staple food to eat.
            When they were painting in the caves of Altamira,
            Rosalia was twenty years old, had three children, and the moon was
            shining...
            Rosalia has always had three children,
            twenty years of age, one abortion, and the moon was shining...
            Pregnant, Rosalia lives under a bridge.
            I can see Rosalia. Rosalia is lucky to live in an organized world!...
            Rosalia fills forms to ask for a little house.
            Rosalia stands in line in the Ministry of Public Health, lines lasting five
            hours,
            with a pissed child in her arms.
            -The President says: "No citizen will... , etc."
            Rosalia indeed lives in an organized world...
            There is a Constitution, Human Rights, Prostitution, the Church.
            But, if Rosalia doesn't have enough to eat a biscuit,
            how can she understand the palpitations of a refrigerator,
            or to soak in milk an automobile,
            or lying on a sofa switch-on a record player?
            And this is Civilization, now that Rosalia cannot squeeze,
            at five o'clock, a jazz in tea?
            Rosalia has to live in an organized world!
            We have already gone to the moon:
            "I'll drop you a line from the moon, love!"
            Potatoes in photosynthesis, carnations in photosynthesis, roses in
            photosynthesis.
            Through a chemical orchard the insects will fly.
            But Rosalia has seven children,
            in midst of Civilization,
            a metaphysical Civilization that cannot solve the problems of Rosalia...
            How many years is it that Rosalia has been going with her children from dung
            to dung,
            from Constitution to Constitution, from God to God!?
            Rosalia is twenty seven years old, one hundred years old, five thousand
            years old.
            Rosalia has dung in her dreams,
            Rosalia dreams about dung,
            But dung is not herself.

            [M:MS]
          • Sultana Syeda
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 18, 2001
              CIA, FBI & LAPD

              The CIA, The FBI, and the LAPD are all trying to prove that they are the
              best at apprehending criminals. The President decides to give them a test.
              He releases a rabbit into a forest and each of them has to catch it.

              The CIA goes in. They place animal informants throughout the forest They
              question all plant and mineral witnesses. After three months of extensive
              investigations they conclude that rabbits do not exist. They petition
              Congress for more money for rabbit-detecting satellites.

              The FBI goes in. After two weeks with no leads they burn the forest,
              killing everything in it, including the rabbit. The FBI informs the press
              that the rabbit was a baby rabbit molester, and obviously set the fire. The
              agents involved are given medals for their bravery.

              The LAPD goes in. They come out two hours later with a badly beaten bear.
              The bear is yelling: "Okay! Okay! I'm a rabbit! I'm a rabbit!"

              picked off the Internet in 9/97

              [M:MS]
            • Naeem Bangali
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 18, 2001
                http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20010918/ts/attack_bangladesh_airspace_dc_1.html
                Bangladesh Says Will Allow U.S. to Use Airspace

                DHAKA, Bangladesh (Reuters) - Bangladesh's caretaker government said Tuesday
                the United States could use its airspace and other facilities should
                Washington decide to launch a military offensive in the region.

                ``Bangladesh has accepted a U.S. request to use its airspace, port and
                refueling facilities and access to sea,'' a senior foreign ministry official
                told reporters.

                ``Bangladesh totally supports steps (taken by the U.S.) to build a
                multinational coalition against terrorism,'' said Shafi Sami, special
                assistant to the caretaker authority on foreign affairs.

                The caretaker authority, headed by former chief justice Latifur Rahman, came
                to the decision two days after the U.S. administration issued the request.

                Rahman has a three-month constitutional mandate to govern Bangladesh until
                an elected government takes office. The country is set to hold a
                parliamentary election on October 1

                Bangladesh earlier condemned last week's attacks on the World Trade Center
                and the Pentagon (news - web sites), and said it would support any
                international move to fight terrorism.

                [M:MS]
              • M. Raheem
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 18, 2001
                  Dear Alochoks:

                  The article below is taken from the latest issue of Modern Maturity. It is
                  about the poet Maya Angelou. Read it. It will make you feel better about
                  whatever might be going on with you.

                  ***************
                  Poet, author, teacher, living symbol of courage and determination, Maya
                  Angelou rose from poverty in St. Louis, Missouri, to the steps of the US
                  Capitol, delivering a poem at the first inauguration of President Bill
                  Clinton. IN between she walked a torturous journey that saw her an unwed
                  teen mother, waitress, prostitute, madame, singer, dancer, and actress.

                  In her now classic auto-biography, "I know Why the Caged Bird Sings," she
                  reveals that she was raped at age eight and stopped speaking for six years.

                  Modern Maturity recently sat down with Angelou in the sun-filled breakfast
                  room of the author's home in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, where she is
                  Reynolds Professor of American Studies at Wake Forest University. Here's
                  what she had to say about...

                  Courage: I think you develop it the same way you cook or develop muscles.
                  You don't start off witha beef Wellington. You start off with a hard-boiled
                  egg, then an omelet. Before you know it, you are doing a frittata. Where to
                  start? Walk out of a room where there are racial pejoratives bandied about.
                  Any of them. From "honky" to "nigger" to "Jap" to "kike." Anytime you hear
                  them, say, "Excuse me. I'm sorry. I know this is poison. I cant stay here."
                  If you don't have enough courage to say that, then just say, " Ooh, bye!"
                  Whatever, get out. You cant practice kindness, generosity, fair play without
                  courage.

                  Failure: I've encountered many defeats. Without defeats, how do you really
                  know who the hell you are? If you never had to stand up to something - life
                  can walk over you wearing football cleats. But each time you do get up, you
                  are bigger, taller, finer, more beautiful, more kind, more understanding,
                  more loving. Each time you get up, you are more inclusive. More people can
                  stand under your umbrella.

                  Poetry: I was frightened, and thrilled, and excited, and terrified to be
                  asked to write a poem for Clinton's inauguration. However, I am an African
                  American woman, and it's not unusual to be asked to do the unusual. So I
                  said, "Yes, of course." And then I spent the next three months praying a
                  lot, shaking in my boots, and writing the poem.

                  Family: My father wasn't a very nice person alive. I don't think he got any
                  better dead. I just don't speak of him. I have an uncle I speak of, Uncle
                  Willis, who was his brother. He taught me math so well that now, 65 years
                  later, I can add as fast as a calculator. Just zip. I think now about my
                  grandmother, my mom, my Uncle Willie, and I think of who we really are -
                  black people, white people, and Asian and Spanish people - and who we could
                  be. And the thought makes me smaller than a mustard seed and larger than
                  Mount Everest.

                  After I read this article, her strength in the face of so many struggles
                  became a source of strength for me too. I also realized, that if this
                  country[USA] can create such a wonderful human being out of all her
                  sufferings, then this country still provides hope for me. I hope it provided
                  you the same kind of inspiration that it did for me.

                  M. Raheem
                  Little Rock, AR

                  [M:MS]