Re: [ALOCHONA] Library of Congress Listing of Bangladesh: Post your comments:

  • Farida Majid
    Message 1 of 27 , Aug 31 9:08 PM
      I commend Rashad Chowdhury for his "open letter" to the Library of Congress
      on the subject of the listing of Bengal and Bangladesh. This is a serious
      issue with deep and wide ranging consequential confusion, ignorance and oversight.

      Let me point out one quick mistake in Rashad's assessment. Bengal is not
      exactly the English "translation" of Bangla. It is a spelling that the
      British devised according to their practice of transliterating 'Indian'
      names any which way their whim or ability to transliterate allowed them.
      Bangla has been transliterated in many ways by many Europeans for many
      centuries before the British settled on the spelling "Bengal" to indicate
      the land mass that was roughly designated as bangabhumi (which was also a
      relatively late development).

      We must also remind ourselves that Bangla means both our country and the
      language. Bengal, on the other hand, has a specific historical and
      geographical reference, i.e., the British Bengal. That is why when I write
      about certain historical accounts I cannot get away from the nomenclature
      of Bengal.

      Moreover, the state of West Bengal in India has retained the British spelling.
      Perhaps we should raise a movement to pressure the Indian Govt. to
      officially change the name of the state to West Bangla.

      I agree with Rashad that that the listing of Bengal should be associated with
      Bangladesh and West Bengal in the Library of Congress. It is an important
      issue and the correction should be expedited.

      Kind regards.

      Farida Majid
    • Shahed Alam
      Message 2 of 27 , Sep 4, 2001
        Dear Alochoks,

        Among all the bad news and symptoms, I see some becon of light,
        sometimes. This is one such thing. Any comments?

        Sometimes I think we should have more flexibilities so that MPs can
        cross the party lines and form some in-house groups which goes beyond
        party identity. That would allow MPs like Moyeen khan to be leaders
        of influence in the political scenario. Right now he is not?

        What are the risks of allowing party MPs to cross party lines on
        specific issues and voting in parliament? In a political environment
        like bangladesh, I know the present system has its merits. Stability
        is one of those. But are we sacrificing more than what we are
        gaining?

        Could we, as Alochoks, spend some time of our own and our forum, some
        time to find out what are the reasons for his failure. Look at his
        words, "despite the best of my efforts in diverse forums, I could not
        bring about any significant change in the political scenario of the
        country in the last ten years." What does that mean to you all? Whats
        wrong with the system? Or anything wrong with Moyeen Khan? What do we
        need to do to use persons like him? Even though he can win an
        election in Bangladesh ( unlike Dr. Kamal), he is saying something
        what we usually don't hear from our successful politicians. Any
        comments?

        Thanks,
        Shahed Alam

        Moyeen Khan didn't seek nomination
        Staff Correspondent

        Senior BNP leader Dr. Moyeen Khan did not seek nomination. Asked why
        he did not seek nomination, Dr. Khan, former minister of State for
        Planning, said he had already been an MP for ten years, and that was
        enough for such a responsibility.

        "More importantly, despite the best of my efforts in diverse forums,
        I could not bring about any significant change in the political
        scenario of the country in the last ten years," DR. Khan said.

        The people's expectations, he said, for a responsible political
        environment in the country are now all too low, compared to what it
        was like ten years ago in 1991 when the country set out for
        sustainable democracy after the early years of independence.

        He said he would hold on to politics and continue to fight
        the 'leviathans' in an effort to bring about desired changes in the
        democratic culture and consequently, in the political scenario.

        [M:MS]
      • shahriar iqbal
        Message 3 of 27 , Sep 4, 2001
          Dear alochoks,
          Aschalamualikum oa rahmatullah.I read the topic "Basic education for the poor people" by Haroon Rashid. It's a real feature of my lovely bangladesh. Most of the highly educated persons are busy for themself.

          If a highly educated person can motivate 4 less educated persons to teach poor people and each of these persons teaches 4 poor people or more so the result would be 16 or more.

          By this way the literacy level of bangladesh can be increased. I guess 5-6 persons from each union porishad(UP)of bangladesh are studying in university level. These people can do this education program because they have goodwill and well wishers in villages.

          Mr. H Rasid's idea is good. In rural area of bangladesh many young boys and girls help their parents in the day time. Some boys and girls work in the fields, shops, restuarents etc. So in the day time they can't go to school.

          I saw this 2 years ago when I was studying Bangladesh Agricultural University(BAU),Mymensingh. Once a milkman came to my room to deliver milk. I asked him about his family condition. I always suggested him to push his sons (he has no daughter) to school. At last he follow my suggestion by sending his older son to a madrasha and 2nd one to a primary school.I gave him thanks. Madrasha education or primary school education or night school education doesn't matter. Education will increase his awareness about himself.

          What is Education? "Education is the process by which desirable changes occur in human behaviour." So any kind of education is important to a human. Now I want to highlight about the education and subject materials.We need those education matrerials for the people that will motivate them for futher education and at the same time increase their consciousness.

          Education materials may be TV, Video, Radio, Booklets, Pumplets, Newspaper, Paintings, Drawings etc. If you show a educational TV progam to the children, some children will think how does the TV work? Is inside there any man? This will increase their imagination/thinking power.

          Now, what would be the subject matter? It may be (i)social-religion, culture, crime and law, duty and resposibility to others etc. (ii)economical-this is important.people can make money by doing a small business,supplying home made products (handicrafts,food), poultry, fish culture, seri culture, pisi culture,
          homestead garden, fruits plantation, small industry etc. The educational subjectmatter would be how can do this? (iii)Health and Environment-health includes sex,early marriage,pregnancy,health care, food and nutrition.Environment includes surroundings of a man--air,water,soil and their pollution.So how can we keep our environment healthy and sound it would be the educational matter.

          All upon these, we have to broaden our mind to help the poor people in all respects. Any kind of help or suggestion by the educated people may change
          their lots.

          Good wishes for all.

          Shahriar Mohammod Iqbal,
          Perth,Australia

          N.B.This is my first writings. Any kind of mistake please take in a sense of excuse.

          ______________________________________

          [M:MS}
        • Farhana Hossain
          Message 4 of 27 , Sep 5, 2001
            The other day, my friends and I were discussing the importance of effective
            leaders. And some names came up: Hitler, Castro, Martin Luther King,
            Gandhi. And as the names began to spew out, there was chaos and hoi hullur.
            Because we perceive our leaders to be a certain way and most often, they
            have had positive impact. As you can see, some of the names are not so
            favorable. At the end, my friends and I came to a compromise and that was,
            when we started the discussion, we mentioned a key word. We were speaking
            about "EFFECTIVE" leaders and not whether they were positive or negative
            leaders.

            As we were talking, I wanted to see if anyone would name at least 3
            effective leaders in Bangladesh, past or present. But no one did.

            We even came up with some of the criteria and I'll list them here.
            Shouldn't our elected officials such as our prime minister and members of
            the parliament have some of these qualities?

            List of Criteria

            Strong Communicator
            Decisive
            Visionary
            Confident
            Charismatic
            Determined
            Motivator
            Has Integrity
            Interpersonal
            Has Respect of the people and Cares for the people and country

            No one person can have the above and more. But a few of these qualities
            should definitely be possessed by our leaders. Do we have any such leader
            in elected office in Bangladesh? If not, then why aren't the people who
            possess these attributes running for office?

            I hear children often saying, "I want to become the president of my country"
            with such pride and joy. Why is it that Bangladeshi children do not voice
            becoming prime minister as their dream?