Re: [ALOCHONA] Bangladesh Cricket: Team for the historic first test

  • bashar
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 31, 2000
      Dear Fellow Members,
      The team that will take on India in the
      historic first test of Bangladesh has been announced. While the core of the
      team is in the expected line, at least one exclusion and one inclusion
      should raise questions. Yes, I am talking about the exclusion of Shumon.
      Prothom Alo has published today a brief account of his performance at
      international level over the last one year and a half and one would have to
      be really cruel in not feeling sorry for the boy. I was almost a regular
      visitor to the Dhaka stadium in my DMC years. I have seen quite a lot of
      his batting and I am familiar with the ability and character of this stylish
      right hander. I think Mr. Tehsin will tell us more about what really
      happened. One rare quality that this boy has is courage. I never found him
      being intimidated by fiery bowling or by pressure situations. It was a
      delight to see him playing his natural strokes even in this sort of
      situations. His on-side play is, I believe one of the best that the country
      has at the present moment. The inclusion of Rajin Saleh has two positive
      aspects. One is his young age and the other is his fielding as has been
      claimed. I haven't seen him playing but the point is since he is certain to
      be out of the first eleven, was it so necessary to include him at the
      expense of someone like Shumon ? After all, the names are going to be part
      of history and Shumon deserves to be there. About the problem of Moni and
      Rafique, well I think their very sameness precludes inclusion of both at the
      same time. Otherwise, both are handy cricketers. That Rafique got the nod is
      good for the future. He also fared much better than Moni in the four-day
      match in south Africa. Another player whom I like so much but don't find
      consistent enough is Rokon. I think he did terribly bad in the premier
      league(for Shurjotorun) but as it appears, found form in the Kenya/SA tour.
      Now that he is going to be entrusted with the crucial no. 3 spot, his form
      will be important for the team . He is a very natural stroke-maker and has a
      strong basic.
      In this connection, I would like thank Mr.
      Tehsin for providing us with his analysis of the latest developments about
      our cricket. Keep up the good work. There are a few players in the team whom
      I haven't seen playing. They are Bikash, Sumit and Saleh. It would be
      appreciated if Mr. Tehsin gives us some insight into the finer attributes of
      these players. I am also interested to know about the status of our fielding
      nowadays. Does it show a change for the better? In my opinion, there are two
      departments where we can readily improve. One is the fielding and the other
      is the running between the wicket. Weakness in the latter showed even in the
      SA tour. For teams like ours, the beginning of the journey should be from
      fielding. Best wishes for the national team.

      Bashar
      Bashar Abul Hasan Muhammad
      First Department of Surgery
      Hamamatsu University School of Medicine
      3600 Handa cho, Hamamatsu city
      431-3192, Japan.

      ========
      M:MR
    • Tehsin
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 2, 2000
        Count on AFP to come out with the goodies. :)

        The good news is, Moni and Sumon are in the team even though the BCB explanation was funny. They said, it does not mean they are in the first eleven, only that now the coach and captain have more options (or something to that tune).

        Why do you need options ? It's our first test, I'd rather see this two take the field bacause they have great records in Dhaka. The match is going to be played in Dhaka and this two knows exactly how to exploit the conditions.

        Right now, I am not thinking long term, I am thinking what's best for us at this moment and I say Moni and Sumon join the following:

        Opee and Bidyut - open
        Rokon or Sumon (where do I put Golla ?)
        Bulbul - have a feeling he has a thing for Indian attack
        Akram - he showed his love in May
        Durjoy - can't leave the captain out
        Pilot - no replacement as yet
        Rafique - both bat and ball
        Moni - he does have half-centuries and worked for CTG
        Shanto - no comment
        Bikash - this kid has potential

        What hurts is that, we have a great side. Everytime you think about a playing eleven, there are atleast 3/4 names that has to be left out. It's a shame and at the same time, it shows that as a team, we have depth.

        I am not dillusional about the quality of our players. They are no Ganguly or Akram but they are all at almost the same level of each other.

        You can't really say that Opee is better then Bidyut or Bidyut is better then Golla because they all have almost the same stats and everything. Not considering ODIs alone, think about first-class matches and local league games. All of them were very close to each other (with few exceptions like Bulbul, Rokon and Sumon) as far as runs were concerned (I need to go look at that again).

        Tehsin from http://teststatus.com
        This comes the message board, you are welcome to browse through the board and read the fans rambling about cricket. the addie: http://boards.rivals.net/default.asp?sid=1175&p=16

        Bangladesh cricket: http://bangladeshcricket.rivals.net
        Personal Site: http://www.tehsin.com

        [M:MR: On a humorous note for the non-serious cricket fans one can enjoy the names of our cricket players. With names like Bidyut (lightning), Golla (bomb/explosion), Pilot etc you cant help but get more enthusiastic about the team and the game. Thanks to Tehsin and others for their constant and interesting analysis of our cricket happennings.]