May Topic of the Month

  • Alochona Topics Team
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 30, 2000

      Dear Alochoks:

      Most of us are involved with some Bangladeshi organization or
      other, as a member, organizer or advisor. Through these
      participations we are able to observe how Bangladeshi organizations
      work. Some of these organizations and associations are community
      based (local Bangladeshi associations), some are age based(student
      groups), some are non-profit think tanks, some are psuedo commercial
      (Grameen) and in Alochona, we see the internet based Bangladeshi
      organization.

      Through our involvement most of us can also testify that many
      Bangladeshi organizations do not seem to last long or rather
      they are not as effective as comparable organizations from other
      communities. We shall use the classic example of Bangladeshi
      associations. Often such groups are filled with factionalism
      and divisions and abnormal politiking. The most common divisions
      arise from the political alignment among the members(Awami or BNP).

      This month's topic is dedicated to exploring the issue of why and
      how such factionalism creeps into Bangladeshi organizations. Why are
      Bangladeshi organizations less effective in giving back to the
      community?

      A few of the reasons could be:
      - A lack of systematic policies
      - A lack of time
      - Strong factionalism among management and members
      - A lack of clear vision and purpose
      - Apathetic attitude of members

      But things are not all bad. There are many Bangladeshi organizations
      that are successful in their activities. Organizations like Drik and
      Grameen are large scale examples of success. On the more regional
      level, organizations like the Bangladesh Youth Federation have also
      shown the success that a group can achieve.

      So let us look at the success stories and the failure stories and
      try to learn better methods of starting organizations, achieving their
      goals and prolonging their success.

      - Alochona Topics Team

    • The Daily Star
      Message 2 of 2 , May 12 3:25 AM
        This is The Daily Star from Dhaka. We at the DAILY STAR want to print "your
        expectation of the Budget 2000".

        Please do send your opinions along with your names and addresses at
        <dstar@...>

        Thanking you
        The Daily Star