Copperhead

  • cccalco
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 29, 2013
      Perhaps thanks to "Copperhead" and a few recent books on the Knights of the Golden Circle we may soon think the terms Copperhead and KGC are terms that will not be unknown to our contemporaries. Ron Maxwell, the director of "Gettysburg" (1993) and "Gods and Generals" (2003) has a new movie which will be in theaters this weekend. "Copperhead" is the story of an upstate New York family which comes under persecution for their support of the Constitution and opposition to the war.
      Here is a link to the movies website,
      http://www.copperheadthemovie.com/
      and be sure to see the trailer on youtube,
      http://www.youtube.com/embed/A7Zx0ZN80vk

      Indiana Congressman Daniel W. Voorhees was being described in the following excerpt but could also be descriptive of fellow Copperheads of the period as well.
      "....against protective tariffs and national banks, his intense race prejudice, his suspicion of the eastern Yankee, his devotion to personal liberty, his defense of the Constitution and State's rights faithfully reflected the views of ...Jacksonian agrarians, he resented the political and economic revolution then in progress... idealized a way of life which he thought was being destroyed by the current rulers of his country.."

      The Knights of the Golden Circle Research and Historical Archives
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Knights_of_the_Golden_Circle
      http://knights-of-the-golden-circle.blogspot.com
      http://knightsofthegoldencircle.webs.com
    • connecticutsam
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 18, 2013
        --- In alltreasuretalesusa@yahoogroups.com, "cccalco" <cccalco@...> wrote:

        > Perhaps thanks to "Copperhead" and a few recent books on the Knights of the Golden Circle we may soon think the terms Copperhead and KGC are terms that will not be unknown to our contemporaries. Ron Maxwell, the director of "Gettysburg" (1993) and "Gods and Generals" (2003) has a new movie which will be in theaters this weekend. "Copperhead" is the story of an upstate New York family which comes under persecution for their support of the Constitution and opposition to the war.
        > Here is a link to the movies website,
        > http://www.copperheadthemovie.com/
        > and be sure to see the trailer on youtube,
        > http://www.youtube.com/embed/A7Zx0ZN80vk
        >
        > Indiana Congressman Daniel W. Voorhees was being described in the following excerpt but could also be descriptive of fellow Copperheads of the period as well.
        > "....against protective tariffs and national banks, his intense race prejudice, his suspicion of the eastern Yankee, his devotion to personal liberty, his defense of the Constitution and State's rights faithfully reflected the views of ...Jacksonian agrarians, he resented the political and economic revolution then in progress... idealized a way of life which he thought was being destroyed by the current rulers of his country.."
        >
        > The Knights of the Golden Circle Research and Historical Archives
        > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Knights_of_the_Golden_Circle
        > http://knights-of-the-golden-circle.blogspot.com
        > http://knightsofthegoldencircle.webs.com

        I am still interesting in treasure stories that you are no longer interesting to search for in Connecticut

        Connecticut Sam

        lovejoydc@...