Re: The 1802 Wreck of the Spanish frigate Juno?

  • connecticutsam
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 4, 2011
      --- In alltreasuretalesusa@yahoogroups.com, alltreasuretalesusa-owner@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      > Greetings,
      >
      > Doing recent research on the wreck of the Spanish frigate Juno in 1802 off the coast of Delaware, Virginia, or Maryland??? This ship has been in the news in the past decade for setting a terrible legal president unfavorable to salvagers and THers. I'm curious if anyone may have some personal knowledge of this case, including any photographs of recovered coins from the wreckage?
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Hangman

      Was any treasures found yet? I am from Bridgeport Connecticut.
    • Hangman_X
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 5, 2011
        Hi Danny,

        To answer your question No the Juno has never been found. The legal case involving the Juno, though it has yet to be located granted Spain ownership of the wreck and about 250 other Spanish galleons that may, or may not lie in U.S. waters today.

        Hangman

        --- In alltreasuretalesusa@yahoogroups.com, "connecticutsam" <lovejoydc@...> wrote:

        > --- In alltreasuretalesusa@yahoogroups.com, alltreasuretalesusa-owner@yahoogroups.com wrote:
        > >
        > > Greetings,
        > >
        > > Doing recent research on the wreck of the Spanish frigate Juno in 1802 off the coast of Delaware, Virginia, or Maryland??? This ship has been in the news in the past decade for setting a terrible legal president unfavorable to salvagers and THers. I'm curious if anyone may have some personal knowledge of this case, including any photographs of recovered coins from the wreckage?
        > >
        > > Thanks,
        > > Hangman
        > >
        > Was any treasures found yet? I am from Bridgeport Connecticut.

      • J Wood
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 5, 2011
          good luck with that lol, after seeing the court decision anyone would be a fool to admit a recovery, and didnt it say the ship they actually found wasnt the juno? but at 1st it was, so now who's is that one?, I beleive spain came got it but was the wrong ship so?
        • Corsair2k3
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 10, 2011
            The bottom line, for practical purposes, is that Spain has arguable title to every ship it lost no matter where it sank, no matter who finds it.

            As a consequence, no one will ever bother looking for a Spanish galleon again.

            Especially since Spain's US attorney belongs to the same law firm as did Eric Holder present USAG

            The Corsair

            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 10, 2011
              Yup,

              Only in the USA could Spain be awarded title to so many previously abandoned wrecks in US waters based entirely on a Virginia courts BAD ruling that should have been nullified. Unfortunately the decision is being 'upheld' according to the Virginia AG, who claims that so long as the Juno remains lost, the state will assume that it is in Virginia waters (therefore under the state's jurisdiction) and will not challenge the courts ruling which opened the door for Spain to claim title to all its abandoned vessels roughly 250 in number. Until it has been confirmed that the Juno is in Virginia waters, the State of Virginia HAS NO JURISDICTION. OnLy iN aMeriCa!