The Clue in the Old Book

  • Dan Hughes
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 17, 2009
      Sounds like a Nancy Drew mystery, doesn't it?

      But old books can be great sources for treasure leads.

      Do you have a story about finding a great hunting spot thanks to
      something you read from long ago? Post it here!

      Just this week, this notice appeared in my local paper:
      --------------------------------
      Area history
      In 1909, during the hot summer months, camping on the Sangamon River
      in Mahomet seems to be all the rage. Last summer, nearly 300 families
      camped around here, and from present indications there will be twice as
      many this year.
      --------------------------------
      Mahomet is a small town ten miles west of me, and there is still a county
      park along the Sangamon River. I've detected that park several times,
      but only in the play areas, never by the river. You can bet where I'll
      be hunting next time I'm there!

      My lastest podcast is about using old books and other publications to
      find clues to long-forgotten treasure areas, just waiting for you to come
      along with your metal detector.

      Listen to it by clicking the pink button at this site:

      http://thetreasurecorner.com

      ---Dan Hughes

    • David
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 17, 2009
        I found a site that had county fairs for forty or fifty years just before the civil war. I found a reference in an old news paper article for something else on the net. I went to the nearest towns library and they had an old plat book that showed the location fair grounds. I located the owner of the property but haven't been able to contact him yet. The fields are planted now anyway. I hope to talk to him soon.

        On a side note, the group that put on the fairs at the time had something to do with the founding of the University of Illinois if I remember my research correctly.

        --- In alltreasuretalesusa@yahoogroups.com, Dan Hughes <danhughes@...> wrote:

        > Sounds like a Nancy Drew mystery, doesn't it?
        >
        > But old books can be great sources for treasure leads.
        >
        > Do you have a story about finding a great hunting spot thanks to
        > something you read from long ago? Post it here!
        >
        > Just this week, this notice appeared in my local paper:
        > --------------------------------
        > Area history
        > In 1909, during the hot summer months, camping on the Sangamon River
        > in Mahomet seems to be all the rage. Last summer, nearly 300 families
        > camped around here, and from present indications there will be twice as
        > many this year.
        > --------------------------------
        > Mahomet is a small town ten miles west of me, and there is still a county
        > park along the Sangamon River. I've detected that park several times,
        > but only in the play areas, never by the river. You can bet where I'll
        > be hunting next time I'm there!
        >
        > My lastest podcast is about using old books and other publications to
        > find clues to long-forgotten treasure areas, just waiting for you to come
        > along with your metal detector.
        >
        > Listen to it by clicking the pink button at this site:
        >
        > http://thetreasurecorner.com
        >
        > ---Dan Hughes

      • hangman_x
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 20, 2009
          David brings up an excellent point. As someone who researches lost treasure tales for publication I concur with Dan that old books, newspapers, etc. are great resources for new sites to hunt of long forgotten places. And David's follow through is the next best step to locate these sites. The plat, plot, or lot and block maps of yesteryear provides the locations to many of these old sites especially if they had permanent structures on the property.

          Although it may take a bit more research "transient" events, such as the traveling circus, carnivals,or rodeos drew huge crowds but may have taken place of rented or temporarily leased land just for the event. These transient event sites because of there lack having a permanent site are still important sites especially for coin shooters. And because these sites were never permanent they often are virgin hunting grounds for THer's, since people of today have no idea where these events occurred 100+ years ago. Research pays!!! Great comments gentlemen and thanks for posting!

          Happy hunting,
          hangman_X

          --- In alltreasuretalesusa@yahoogroups.com, "David" <jeden12000@...> wrote:

          > I found a site that had county fairs for forty or fifty years just before the civil war. I found a reference in an old news paper article for something else on the net. I went to the nearest towns library and they had an old plat book that showed the location fair grounds. I located the owner of the property but haven't been able to contact him yet. The fields are planted now anyway. I hope to talk to him soon.
          >
          > On a side note, the group that put on the fairs at the time had something to do with the founding of the University of Illinois if I remember my research correctly.
          >

          > --- In alltreasuretalesusa@yahoogroups.com, Dan Hughes <danhughes@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Sounds like a Nancy Drew mystery, doesn't it?
          > >
          > > But old books can be great sources for treasure leads.
          > >
          > > Do you have a story about finding a great hunting spot thanks to
          > > something you read from long ago? Post it here!
          > >
          > > Just this week, this notice appeared in my local paper:
          > > --------------------------------
          > > Area history
          > > In 1909, during the hot summer months, camping on the Sangamon River
          > > in Mahomet seems to be all the rage. Last summer, nearly 300 families
          > > camped around here, and from present indications there will be twice as
          > > many this year.
          > > --------------------------------
          > > Mahomet is a small town ten miles west of me, and there is still a county
          > > park along the Sangamon River. I've detected that park several times,
          > > but only in the play areas, never by the river. You can bet where I'll
          > > be hunting next time I'm there!
          > >
          > > My lastest podcast is about using old books and other publications to
          > > find clues to long-forgotten treasure areas, just waiting for you to come
          > > along with your metal detector.
          > >
          > > Listen to it by clicking the pink button at this site:
          > >
          > > http://thetreasurecorner.com
          > >
          > > ---Dan Hughes

        • merlin
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 28, 2009
            --- In alltreasuretalesusa@yahoogroups.com, Dan Hughes <danhughes@...> wrote:

            > Sounds like a Nancy Drew mystery, doesn't it?
            >
            > But old books can be great sources for treasure leads.
            >
            > Do you have a story about finding a great hunting spot thanks to
            > something you read from long ago? Post it here!
            >
            > Just this week, this notice appeared in my local paper:
            > --------------------------------
            > Area history
            > In 1909, during the hot summer months, camping on the Sangamon River
            > in Mahomet seems to be all the rage. Last summer, nearly 300 families
            > camped around here, and from present indications there will be twice as
            > many this year.
            > --------------------------------
            > Mahomet is a small town ten miles west of me, and there is still a county
            > park along the Sangamon River. I've detected that park several times,
            > but only in the play areas, never by the river. You can bet where I'll
            > be hunting next time I'm there!
            >
            > My lastest podcast is about using old books and other publications to
            > find clues to long-forgotten treasure areas, just waiting for you to come
            > along with your metal detector.
            >
            > Listen to it by clicking the pink button at this site:
            >
            > http://thetreasurecorner.com
            >
            > ---Dan Hughes

            I found a old book talking about a lost treasure,that new york indians buried a treasure.They took the gems and jewels,gold and silver off the first french and spanish explorers in the new world..They used this treasure to fight against thier fellow indians.It was used for evil means.This is why it was buried.The only problem is that it is guarded by an Indian shaman and indian braves.I have been after this treasure for 4 years now.My friend and me hit it 3 times.We sent the shaman and his braves to the happy hunting grounds.There is still one spirit left ,plus the demons there,that feed on fear.I found this without a medal detector.I need help with a medal detector that goes 4 to 5 feet down,anyone interested in shares,Dean
          • connecticutsam
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 30, 2009
              --- In alltreasuretalesusa@yahoogroups.com, Dan Hughes <danhughes@...> wrote:

              > Sounds like a Nancy Drew mystery, doesn't it?
              >
              > But old books can be great sources for treasure leads.
              >
              > Do you have a story about finding a great hunting spot thanks to
              > something you read from long ago? Post it here!
              >
              > Just this week, this notice appeared in my local paper:
              > --------------------------------
              > Area history
              > In 1909, during the hot summer months, camping on the Sangamon River
              > in Mahomet seems to be all the rage. Last summer, nearly 300 families
              > camped around here, and from present indications there will be twice as
              > many this year.
              > --------------------------------
              > Mahomet is a small town ten miles west of me, and there is still a county
              > park along the Sangamon River. I've detected that park several times,
              > but only in the play areas, never by the river. You can bet where I'll
              > be hunting next time I'm there!
              >
              > My lastest podcast is about using old books and other publications to
              > find clues to long-forgotten treasure areas, just waiting for you to come
              > along with your metal detector.
              >
              > Listen to it by clicking the pink button at this site:
              >
              > http://thetreasurecorner.com
              >
              > ---Dan Hughes

              Great info. The best books with info on bury treasures, does not have in its title: Bury Treasures.

              Danny Cook