Re: treasure in ri

  • hangman_x
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 13 7:58 AM
      Hi Aimee,

      I pulled some good leads from Providence County for you to check out, but I won't have time to post them here until the weekend. I'm working on a large historic cartography project right now so hopefully I can post those for you by Sunday. Have a great weekend!!!

      Happy hunting,

      hangman_X

      --- In alltreasuretalesusa@yahoogroups.com, Aimée Parent <airlineaimee@...> wrote:

      > thanks. im in providence county
      > aimee
      >

      > Peace out little birdie.
      > "You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one. I hope some day you'll join us and the world will be as one"--Imagine by John Lennon
      > Got PEZ?
      >

      > Looking for Hand Carved Wood dragons? site I created: http://www.dragonlore53.com

    • hangman_x
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 14 2:37 PM
        Hello Aimee,

        Here are a few leads to get you started. I wish the best for your success, and thank you for posting to the Members Mugshot photo album also.

        Providence County, R.I. Leads

        1. The Providence Bell – Missing!

        My personal favorite from Providence County has to do with the missing Providence bell. The bell arrived from Amsterdam in 1664 and was hung from a church near Providence.
        Years later the bell was taken down to be hung at an English convent but was lost. It was found on board a British ship during the War of 1812 when it was captured by American forces.

        The bell was returned to Providence where it was once again placed in the church tower where it hung until 1891. That year it disappeared from the tower and it has never been recovered. If found today the bell would be priceless based on its historic value alone. The bell was created by silversmith Peter Seest in Amsterdam from an estimated two to five hundred pounds of nearly pure silver. Because of the high silver content the bell is said to have produced a tone that is impossible to duplicate today.

        2. Blackbeard's Providence Treasure – Lost!

        Local research is needed to verify this legend, but legend states in 1716 Blackbeard landed at Providence where he buried a treasure for safekeeping. Nothing else seems to be known about this possible pirate hoard.

        3. The Kafke Treasure – Lost!

        Here is another tale that due to its lack of information gets little mention. A man named John Kafke is said to have buried a treasure consisting of gold specie in the vicinity of Liberty, R.I. Again nothing else is known so local research will be necessary to develop this story. I'd start my research by looking for Kafke in county records. Property deeds, probate, birth, death, and marriage records, business licenses, etc. Once you've confirmed Kafke actually existed then I'd start building a historic file on him and whatever information exists about him.

        What type of business was he in? How'd he make his money? Where was his business? Where was his home? Did he own land-property? Are there any old newspaper accounts about him? And where does his life appear to intersect with a possible lost treasure? Could he have buried his personal hoard because he lived in an area with no banks? Or did he bury his fortune to protect it during a time of war? Perhaps he was a criminal who needed to hide his wealth from the government?

        4. Lost Mines

        Based on research done by the late Michael Paul Henson there are two lost mines in Providence County. The Lost Moosup Valley Mine was discovered near Foster Center and worked during the late 1700's. Poor returns caused it to be abandoned. It was re-opened and worked from 1812-1820 when it was again abandoned and forgotten.

        During the early 1800's a gold strike was discovered near Johnson and worked for a period of time before it too was abandoned and lost. With the price of gold these days it could be worth your time to check these out.

        Happy hunting,

        hangman_X

        --- In alltreasuretalesusa@yahoogroups.com, Aimée Parent <airlineaimee@...> wrote:

        > thanks. im in providence county
        > aimee
        >

        > Peace out little birdie.
        > "You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one. I hope some day you'll join us and the world will be as one"--Imagine by John Lennon
        > Got PEZ?
        >

        > Looking for Hand Carved Wood dragons? site I created: http://www.dragonlore53.com

      • connecticutsam
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 16, 2009
          --- In alltreasuretalesusa@yahoogroups.com, "hangman_x" <The-Hangman@...> wrote:

> [...]
          >

          > During the early 1800's a gold strike was discovered near Johnson and worked for a period of time before it too was abandoned and lost. With the price of gold these days it could be worth your time to check these out.
          >
          > Happy hunting,
          >
          > hangman_X
          >

          > --- In alltreasuretalesusa@yahoogroups.com, Aimée Parent <airlineaimee@> wrote:
          > >
          > > thanks. im in providence county
          > > aimee
          > >

          > > Peace out little birdie.
          > > "You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one. I hope some day you'll join us and the world will be as one"--Imagine by John Lennon

          I am look for true stories about bury treasure in Connecticut.
          Connecticut Sam
          lovejoydc@...