[ALL TREASURE TALES USA ] Re: Peter - Just ask and Ye shall receive brother... S

    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 17, 2007
      Steven,
      I wish I could say I know why it wasn't there, but I've been doing
      site & mapping research for lost treasure stories for decades and
      for many reasons certain place-names never were recorded on various
      maps, and may have faded out before they were ever put down on any
      map. Reasons for this can vary - during the California Gold Rush
      several map makers were hired by the US Gov't to map out the new
      state. This resulted in what we called "Saloon Maps" which were maps
      created in saloons while the topographer sat drinking himself into an
      early grave. No one checked up on them and eventually the Gov't.
      caught on. The first Saloon Maps were absolute fakes. The topographer
      would document rivers, lakes, and other geographic features that
      didn't exists, send the map in and wait for their check to arrive for
      their work. Later Saloon Maps were basically duplicates of maps
      previously created by someone else. So no one actually went out and
      physically mapped areas they were hired to map, they just copied an
      earlier map. Another factor depends on how long a "place" actually was
      in existence. Mining camps, labor camps, businesses that provided
      services may not have survived long enough to be recorded on maps. But
      here is where you will find such info.

      County records and County plot maps are best. Many small places may
      have consisted of being nothing more then a post office and general
      store, boarding house and so forth and were located at the crossroads
      in some remote area. It may have served as a stage stop. These small
      out of the way "towns" often will be listed in historic records as
      they would have served as polling places, voting precincts, school
      districts, and many have nothing more than a small cemetery to mark
      the site today. Such places never really grew into towns, but would
      have been small communities or villages. So if the LoC doesn't show a
      place always check for the place-name locally in county records.

      Hope that helps - Its just a guess. In the case of Seller's Landing
      it was a locally known site that had a small population. The
      place-name is recorded as being located at Latitude: 37.54889
      Longitude: -88.1, and can be found at... Lat-Long.com.

      Happy Hunting!!!
      Hangman

      --- In alltreasuretalesusa@yahoogroups.com, Steven Dainis
      <morbiusandneo@...> wrote:

      > Hangman: Merry Christmas to you, too! I went to the Library of
      Congress maps and could not find
      > it(Seller's Landing) on any map of the era.Not saying it didn't
      exist, but I cannot verify that it
      > existed using existing copies of maps of that time.....stvn.
      > --- THE HANGMAN <eldorado_hangman@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Glad i could help out dude! Merry Christmas and HAPPY HUNTING!
      > >
      > > Hangman
      > >
      > > --- In alltreasuretalesusa@yahoogroups.com, "Peter"
      > > <morbiusandneo@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hangman: Thanks! (I see it is south from Old Shawneetown.....)

      > > > --- In alltreasuretalesusa@yahoogroups.com, "THE HANGMAN"

      Seller's

      To get