Re: [ALL TREASURE TALES USA ] Metal Detectors

  • David Mork
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 9, 2007
      Hi Justin and all my fellow TH'ers
      Justin, I understand what you mean about paying top dollar and ending up with junk. I suggest that you go on line to each of the biggest metal detector manufacturer's web sites and look to see what their users have left as far as feedback on different models. Garrett, Minelab, Whites each have web sites and you can search at www.dogpile.com for other brands. There are many other brands but look at the feed-back to see what people think about different detectors. I recommend Whites but with only a two year warranty if what you want is a warranty there are a few brands that have longer warranties up to lifetime; it would be nice if whites would have a lifetime warranty. I don't think Whites will ever do a lifetime warranty but I would sure be happy to see it happen. I hope this will give you some information to work with.
      Dave Mork
      'Digger-Dave'
      THing4CSA
      PS: Remember; Don't leave it in the ground!

      j_row3531 <j_row3531@...> wrote: Hello all! So, Im new to all this. I watched a treasure hunting
      program on tv and it got me hooked. Ever since Ive been reading
      everything I can get my hands on about it. I really want to make this
      a new hobby of mine. Ive been looking at metal detectors lately, and
      Im going to purchase one pretty quick here. I was looking for a
      little input on what to get. Is there a brand that any of you can
      recomend or anything? Im just worried about spending that much money
      and getting something thats crap. Any input would be helpful!
      Thanks, and I look forward to hearing from you all.

      Justin

      test'; ">

    • j_row3531
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 19, 2007
        I want to thank everyone for their input. It helped me alot. Im
        heading to a "Whites" dealer today. Hopefully I'll be able to start
        my new hobby soon. Again, thank you to everyone for the help, it is
        much appreciated.
        --- In alltreasuretalesusa@yahoogroups.com, "ddsman2007"
        <ddsman2007@...> wrote:

        > --- In alltreasuretalesusa@yahoogroups.com, "j_row3531"
        > <j_row3531@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hello all! So, Im new to all this. I watched a treasure
        hunting
        > > program on tv and it got me hooked. Ever since Ive been reading
        > > everything I can get my hands on about it. I really want to
        make
        > this
        > > a new hobby of mine. Ive been looking at metal detectors
        lately,
        > and
        > > Im going to purchase one pretty quick here. I was looking for a
        > > little input on what to get. Is there a brand that any of you
        can
        > > recomend or anything? Im just worried about spending that much
        > money
        > > and getting something thats crap. Any input would be helpful!
        > > Thanks, and I look forward to hearing from you all.
        > >
        > > Justin
        > >
        > hello justin,i would recommend a minelab sovereign with 180
        modified
        > meter (used)this detector is legendary and is basically a turn on
        > and go detector good for everything but nugget hunting.cost
        > approx.$350 range or a minelab explorer xs.this is a top end
        > detector and has a larger learning curve but if you're really
        > serious i think that is way to go basically same machine as the
        > newer explorer ll or se but hundreds less you can probably find
        very
        > nice unit for under $500 i think explorer xs is best deal on
        market
        > right now go to www.metaldetectorreviews.net they review just
        about
        > all the newer detectors...good luck...jb

      • David Mork
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 19, 2007
          Hi Justin
          I have used Whites since 1984 and could not be happier unless they provided a life time warranty as one of the other makers. I paid around $850.00 for my DFX from kellycodetectors.com. they have the best deals and beat my local dealers prices the last two times I have purchased. The thing of it is that even if your local dealer beats the price of the detector kellyco throws in many extras that you really need to get you going in the right direction. I got a fabric carrying case, video 'show me how instructions', head phones (a must have item), a V-2 pin pointer (didn't think I needed but now can't operate without), User's manual, the ability to add other items at a discount, which the dealer would sell but at the normal cost. I understand us TH'ers should support the local dealer but my funds are limited so if I can save $100 or $200 on the purchase of a new detector I say sorry to the local dealer and buy from the lower priced dealer.
          One thing I do recommend when you get your detector and start using it run a test on the items you find. What I mean is if you are searching in the all coin mode (taking for granted that you go with a Whites) and you meter says 'Cent-Dime' dig it up and see if it is a coin. If you get a signal that says 'Pull top-Ring' dig it up and again keep a mental note as to what you found. As I said I use the DFX and this is what I have found in the past three years of use, nearly every signal that comes up with a coin in the display tends to be a good find. I search Civil War encampments and one of the best signals I get is a 'Bottle cap-coin' most of the time this is a Civil War bullet. There is a catch to relying on the meter to decide what to dig and what to skip; many times you will get into an area where there is a lot of iron or mineral content and it will confuse your signals and give you a display of aluminum foil or just a bottle cap. I have made it my mission
          to dig up every signal I get just to clean out the area. What this does is to allow those deeper signals to register (thus the need for headphones) you have to listen for those faint signals, and taking it for granted that you go with the Whites DFX (of XLT) hit the toggle switch for depth to see how deep your Target is and zero in and dig it up. I can't warn you enough to not rely strictly on your meter to tell you if a target is good or trash. I must give you this example: if you are searching an area that has 100 items in the ground and 20 percent are keepers (coins, bullets, buttons, etc.) you remove 50 pieces of trash; what do you have left 50 targets, but 20 of the 50 are keepers.
          Now I also recycle all my trash, clean up the area but picking up bottles and cans, some for profit others just for clean up. If you are searching someone else's property before you leave show them all the trash that you dug up and removed. This will build good relations with the land owner and will get you invited back. There is a catch to this process as well and I know the old timers are saying yeah dig up 100 holes, you have to do good as far as covering your holes after you are finished. What I have found to help is to bury a weed that I dug up or an old leave, you clean up the yard and make it look better the owner is happy you get to return. Now when you refill the hole with the dirt, rocks and leaves don't forget to step on the dirt to pack it back in place. Stomping on the plug will help keep the grass from dieing. I hope you will write again to let us know what detector you decided on and show us some of the items you find. If you ever get out to
          the East coast around Northern Virginia let me know and I will take you to a couple of sites that have produced Civil War relics.
          Stay warm and safe.
          Dave Mork
          THing4CSA
          'Digger-Dave'
          PS: Remember; Don't leave it in the ground!

          j_row3531 <j_row3531@...> wrote: I want to thank everyone for their input. It helped me alot. Im