Re: [ALL TREASURE TALES USA ] (unknown)

  • David Mork
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 9, 2007
      Hi Sherman and all my TH'ing Friends

      I am sure that most all of us have thought that very same way at least once in our hobby lives! The thing of it is that you have to start somewhere and find out if you are going to like the hobby or just get frustrated. This is a wonderful hobby and you will find out in short order if it is 'The Hobby' for you or just a past time. I started with a Jetco mustang back in 1977 and after playing with it for two or three months almost gave up on the hobby. Had it not been that I reinlisted in the US Army and was shipped off to Germany I would have given up on the hobby. In Germany I found so many coins, WW I and WW II relics that I knew this was the hobby for me. I bought a pair of detectors, both Bounty Hunters; a Red Baron, and a Blue something; these were the worst detectors to this day that I ever tried to use. I then bought a Compass Judge II or III and found lots of coins and Military relics in Fort Ord and the surrounding area that I knew that as soon as I
      could afford it I would have to get something better. The Compass kept going dead when I would plug in my 15 inch coil and Compass would not fix it so when it came time to buy a new detector I spoke with my TH'ing buddy at the time ;Mike' in Sacramento. Mike was a Whites dealer so when he offered me a display 6000 Di III for $400.00 I had to take him up on the offer; this was in 1984. I used that detector up until it finally died in 1998 or 1999. I kept a log book of all my finds but would need to dig it out to give you the total number of coins found and the number of coins added to my collections. Living in Virginia lends itself to Civil War relics and older coins and I am not a stranger to anything; although I would like to find a complete canon ball or a belt buckle, these are on my wish list for the year, and have been for the past many years.

      Take your time with whatever detector you get and learn it and do as I do, dig up every signal you hear and be ready to be surprised. Although it is true that you will spend more time digging you will increase the overall number of keeper items. One thing I have found to be helpful is to keep everything you find and take it to a TH'ing club to have some of the more experienced folks tell you what you have. I found a piece of iron that looked like one of those wands that you blow bubbles with, didn't know what it was so took it to my club meeting and was supprised to find out that it was a canteen plug from a Civil War canteen. I now have three of them in my collection. I can only tell you of the items that I have tossed into my recycle metal collections as I do sell my 'trash' for cash. I tossed so many early US buttons into my copper recycle due to missing backs or fronts; I feel much smarter now but know now that I should have kept them all.

      I now have used Whites metal detectors since 1984 and I don't plan to try any other. Whites detectors are very easy to learn and every time I have upgraded the transisition has been easy.

      I hope you will share pictures of your finds with everyone.
      Do right in all you do and stay safe.
      Dave Mork
      'Digger-Dave'
      THing4CSA
      PS: Remember; Don't leave it in the ground!

      Sherman Maggard <sherm36_2000@...> wrote: I saved some money and bought a Bounty Hunter.If I had the money to
      spend I would have bought a Whites. Sherman

      test'; ">