[ALL TREASURE TALES USA ] Re:RESEARCHING MYSTERY ENGRAVING (See Image) - ...

  • Peggy
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 1, 2007
      Hope you get over your cold soon. Your probably right, The dress is
      festive. I don't know about how it came to be buried there. Was
      there any engravers, and newspapers in the area prior to 1938, that
      may have discarded it ?

    • BlazeMcG@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 1, 2007
        Sorry I came into this at the tail end of the donkey. Where was it found?

        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 3, 2007
          BlazeMcG,

          The engraving plate was found in Jonesboro, Arkansas in 1938. It was
          buried at about 12" at the base of an old tree stump. Some Jonesboro
          locals from that period recalled a train robbery at the near-by
          Hasbrook Station. The robbery was laid at the feet of Jesse James,
          however others believe it was the work of the Gainsville Boys. Either
          way it has been suggested that the plate was part of the robbery
          booty, which was cached at the base of this tree. The family that has
          the plate states their research has not confirmed this theory, nor
          have they found any info. about the origin of the plate. The plate was
          first discovered by Elizabeth Mathes, now deceased. It was passed down
          to her son, Dennis.

          Dennis recently passed away and the plate remains with his wife, Sue
          and their children. I promised Sue I'd run a story on the plate in
          Lost Treasure magazine and here on the forum hoping that someone might
          have some info. that will help the family learn more about who created
          the engraving plate and why. My article will run in April, 2007 in the
          Treasure News section of Lost Treasure. Thanks for your input.

          Happy Hunting,
          The Hangman

        • BlazeMcG@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 3, 2007
            I'd check the back issues of the newspapers of the papers there. I tried to
            access them online but other than Harpers front page can't. The plate isn't up
            to harpers fine quality. I think it was a local one. If you do a search for
            local newspapers then do the search for their years there are several of that
            period. Then you will have to contact them directly to have them search
            their papers for the illustration. I am betting a donut it was for his death as
            it has a birth and death date. Also Jonesboro was a site of one of the Lincoln
            Douglas debates several years earlier.

            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 3, 2007
              BlazeMcG - I'll pass that idea along. FYI they mentioned doing local
              research of the old Jonesboro newspapers on microfilm and turned up
              nothing there. I did not realize that Lincoln debated Douglas here,
              I'll let them know.

              Hangman

              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 3, 2007
                In a message dated 1/3/2007 3:27:00 P.M. Central Standard Time,
                eldorado_hangman@... writes:

                FYI they mentioned doing local
                research of the old Jonesboro newspapers on microfilm and turned up
                nothing there.

                Might have been for a special edition or for a book illustration.