Re: [ALL TREASURE TALES USA ] Re: RESEARCHING MYSTERY ENGRAVING (See Image) - ...

  • David Mork
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 31, 2006
      Hi
      I missed the picture would someone send it to me please? I work for the Bureau of Engraving and Printing and when I return to work on January 3rd will ask if anyone has seen this plate in our archives. It may take some time to locate but if it is from the BEP we have the original or at least a copy in the files.

      Please resend the picture in a size that I can forward and everyone can see the details.
      I will report back with any news I get.
      Thanks
      Happy New Year to everyone.
      Dave Mork
      'Digger-Dave'
      THing4CSA
      PS: Remember; Don't leave it in the ground!

      Peggy McClinton <gatorbaitmad@...> wrote: Hello and Happy New Year!

      Re the image.

      I looked at the pics again and after doing a copy paste to photo editor to where I could enlarge and get better look at the engraving plate or mold. It is a Commemorative design.

      On the left of Lincoln there is his year of birth 1809, all be it that it looks like an error in the date with the 0 and the 9 ran together, but maybe that was done on purpose. His year of death 1865. The picture of Lincoln with the dates resemble a plaquette, commemorating his life.

      The Eagle and Shield is a monetary design from the Bureau Engraving & Printing used in currency. And then there is a depiction of Lady Liberty? draping a wreath around his framed Picture. There looks to be a CS at the bottom in the ribbon of the left. which leads me to believe that this design was intended for the BEP, as a Plaquette of Lincoln or a engraving for print for money, stamp, memorabilia

      But BlazeMcG is also correct in aspect to the plate, or mold.

      In 1896 the proposed $20 Silver Certificate which was designed by Charles Stanley Reinhardt, an example of which is not known to exist.He also done artwork and engravings for such as Harper's Weekly, and Thomas Hardy. Therefore an artist could have done the engraving for newsprint or magazine.

      I would have it checked out by someone familiar with the works of Victor David Brenner and Charles Stanley Reinhardt, or a collector of scripophila, Notafilia, exonumia.Or with http://www.stacks.com/default.aspx

      test'; ">