Re: montana metal detecting sites!?

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 6, 2006
      Hey Castlehunter,
      You may find somethng in the "FILES" for this fourm by looking under
      Montana. There are a couple old ghost towns that aren't to far from you.
      Emigrant Gulch is located in Park County. It was the first mining
      district formed in Park County, founded in the 1860's placer gold was
      found here. Hostile Crow however forced the whites out of the area
      dispite several attempts to mine here. The town site is off Hwy. 89
      north of the northern entrance to Yellowstone.

      The ghost town of Castle is located in Meagher County, north off of
      Hwy. 294 west of Martindale towards White Sulphur Springs. The town
      took its name from the castle like rocks from Castle Mountain near
      White Sulphur Springs. It was a mining boomtown from about 1884 on and
      became one of the richest mining camps in Montana. Castle supported a
      school, jail, 80 homes, 14 saloons and 7 brothels. By 1936 only two
      residents remained at Castle.

      Good luck and happy hunting,
      The Hangman

      --- In alltreasuretalesusa@yahoogroups.com, "castlehunter05"
      <tennisace659@...> wrote:

      > hello,
      > could any one provide me with metal detecting sites in montana. i am
      > interested in finding old artifacts, coins, and of course gold. i have
      > a detector and a GPS. i am in bozeman.
      > any sites and information would be greatly appreciated!
      > thanks

    • buscador_az
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 6, 2006
        <tennisace659@...> wrote:

        > hello,
        > could any one provide me with metal detecting sites in montana. i am
        > interested in finding old artifacts, coins, and of course gold. i
        have
        > a detector and a GPS. i am in bozeman.
        > any sites and information would be greatly appreciated!
        > thanks

        The old mine dumps out of Basin towards Boulder should yield
        some "HIGH GRADE" piles as well as artifacts...Check with the Bullock
        family members...Chester had the only bar & resturant and "Hap" did
        some mining and heavy construction around Basin.
        Have some of the old maps...if I can find the file box...get back to
        me in a week or so, I'll see what I can dig up.

        JD
        Buscador_az@...