Possible UT lost Treasure

  • Jerrie
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 2006
      I am not sure if this tidbit is true or not since I have not been
      able to substantiate it from any records. A couple of years ago, I
      was talking to a gentleman who told me about a stagecoach robbery
      that happened up on the old Overland Trail before the railroads took
      over the carrying of passengers. He said that the stage was robbed
      inside the Wyoming side of the WY/UT boarder area and that they got
      away with about $25,000 in gold coins. One of the robbers was shot
      and killed at the scene but the other two robbers were shot but
      escaped. When a posse was sent out, they followed the blood
      trails/horse tracks into what later became the state of Utah. They
      came across one of the other two robbers, dead along the trail. They
      continued on and finally found the other robber laying dead in a box
      canyon somewhere about ten miles from the actual robbery location.
      They found no money box with the man, nor did they find any of the
      money on him. They back tracked and found no sign that anything was
      buried anywhere, but that don't mean too much.
      Has anyone heard of this robbery or was this person giving me a big
      story? Thanks for any info you might be able to provide.

      Jerrie
    • Powers Lynch
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 3, 2006
        Jerrie wrote:

        >I am not sure if this tidbit is true or not since I have not been
        >able to substantiate it from any records. A couple of years ago, I
        >was talking to a gentleman who told me about a stagecoach robbery
        >that happened up on the old Overland Trail before the railroads took
        >over the carrying of passengers. He said that the stage was robbed
        >inside the Wyoming side of the WY/UT boarder area and that they got
        >away with about $25,000 in gold coins. One of the robbers was shot
        >and killed at the scene but the other two robbers were shot but
        >escaped. When a posse was sent out, they followed the blood
        >trails/horse tracks into what later became the state of Utah. They
        >came across one of the other two robbers, dead along the trail. They
        >continued on and finally found the other robber laying dead in a box
        >canyon somewhere about ten miles from the actual robbery location.
        >They found no money box with the man, nor did they find any of the
        >money on him. They back tracked and found no sign that anything was
        >buried anywhere, but that don't mean too much.
        >Has anyone heard of this robbery or was this person giving me a big
        >story? Thanks for any info you might be able to provide.
        >
        >Jerrie
        >

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

        Hello,
        Do you know what year this happened? That would narrow it down a lot.
        Jack