Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: Hoyts peak.... The Lost Josephine mine

Expand Messages
  • THE HANGMAN
    Hey Eddie, Is it the Uintas or the Unakas? If its the Unaka Mountains than I do have info. that I am currently working on RE: The John Swift mines and their
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 1, 2006
    • 0 Attachment
      Hey Eddie,
      Is it the Uintas or the Unakas? If its the Unaka Mountains than I do
      have info. that I am currently working on RE: The John Swift mines and
      their connection to the Lost Garland Mine. I'm working with Buddy
      Johnson who wrote the book "Silver in the Unakas" on this subject. If
      it turns out it is the Unakas then let me know and I can share what I
      have with you.

      Happy Hunting
      Hangman


      --- In alltreasuretalesusa@yahoogroups.com, "Eddie"
      <dawgvader2000@...> wrote:
      >
      > I am starting to research a little about Hoyts peak and the John Young
      > story....Has anyone ever made it up there?.. Is it on Reservation
      > land?... Do you believe the Lost Josephine exist?... I don't know about
      > you but the Uinta mountains are really starting to get me facinated,
      > about that area... The history! The stories... Why are the Uintas so
      > special?... It seems to me its the "Mecca of mines"...In your opinion..
      > How important is that Mountain range when it comes to Spanish Gold?
      >
    • sarge
      Guys, I think he might has mis spelled that and its the Unita Mountains he s talking about. Hope this helps. Sarge ...
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 1, 2006
      • 0 Attachment
        Guys, I think he might has mis spelled that and its
        the Unita Mountains he's talking about. Hope this
        helps. Sarge
        --- THE HANGMAN <eldorado_hangman@...> wrote:

        > Hey Eddie,
        > Is it the Uintas or the Unakas? If its the Unaka
        > Mountains than I do
        > have info. that I am currently working on RE: The
        > John Swift mines and
        > their connection to the Lost Garland Mine. I'm
        > working with Buddy
        > Johnson who wrote the book "Silver in the Unakas" on
        > this subject. If
        > it turns out it is the Unakas then let me know and I
        > can share what I
        > have with you.
        >
        > Happy Hunting
        > Hangman
        >
        >
        > --- In alltreasuretalesusa@yahoogroups.com, "Eddie"
        > <dawgvader2000@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > I am starting to research a little about Hoyts
        > peak and the John Young
        > > story....Has anyone ever made it up there?.. Is it
        > on Reservation
        > > land?... Do you believe the Lost Josephine
        > exist?... I don't know about
        > > you but the Uinta mountains are really starting to
        > get me facinated,
        > > about that area... The history! The stories... Why
        > are the Uintas so
        > > special?... It seems to me its the "Mecca of
        > mines"...In your opinion..
        > > How important is that Mountain range when it comes
        > to Spanish Gold?
        > >
        >
        >
        >
        >
        >


        __________________________________________________
        Do You Yahoo!?
        Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Eddie Krienke
        Sorry it was very late when I posted! Its the Unitas... But Anthony I would be intrested in the Unakas Mountains.. even though In have no clue what there
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 1, 2006
        • 0 Attachment
          Sorry it was very late when I posted! Its the
          Unitas... But Anthony I would be intrested in the
          Unakas Mountains.. even though In have no clue what
          there about..

          --- sarge <sarge3045@...> wrote:

          >
          > Guys, I think he might has mis spelled that and its
          > the Unita Mountains he's talking about. Hope this
          > helps. Sarge
          > --- THE HANGMAN <eldorado_hangman@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Hey Eddie,
          > > Is it the Uintas or the Unakas? If its the Unaka
          > > Mountains than I do
          > > have info. that I am currently working on RE: The
          > > John Swift mines and
          > > their connection to the Lost Garland Mine. I'm
          > > working with Buddy
          > > Johnson who wrote the book "Silver in the Unakas"
          > on
          > > this subject. If
          > > it turns out it is the Unakas then let me know and
          > I
          > > can share what I
          > > have with you.
          > >
          > > Happy Hunting
          > > Hangman
          > >
          > >
          > > --- In alltreasuretalesusa@yahoogroups.com,
          > "Eddie"
          > > <dawgvader2000@...> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > I am starting to research a little about Hoyts
          > > peak and the John Young
          > > > story....Has anyone ever made it up there?.. Is
          > it
          > > on Reservation
          > > > land?... Do you believe the Lost Josephine
          > > exist?... I don't know about
          > > > you but the Uinta mountains are really starting
          > to
          > > get me facinated,
          > > > about that area... The history! The stories...
          > Why
          > > are the Uintas so
          > > > special?... It seems to me its the "Mecca of
          > > mines"...In your opinion..
          > > > How important is that Mountain range when it
          > comes
          > > to Spanish Gold?
          > > >
          > >
          > >
          > >
          > >
          > >
          >
          >
          > __________________________________________________
          > Do You Yahoo!?
          > Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam
          > protection around
          > http://mail.yahoo.com
          >


          __________________________________________________
          Do You Yahoo!?
          Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • THE HANGMAN
          Eddie, I don t have anything on the Unitas but a good source here is Floyd research site for leads. As far as the Unakas goes I ll have to depend on the
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 1, 2006
          • 0 Attachment
            Eddie,
            I don't have anything on the Unitas but a good source here is Floyd
            research site for leads. As far as the Unakas goes I'll have to depend
            on the wasteland once known as my memory here without pulling files.
            They are located in Tennessee on the state line with another
            surrounding state. Again the area is infested with tales of lost
            mines, however a number of other treasures are associated with these
            mountains. The two primary stories I'm looking into are of the Swift
            Mines & the Garland Mine. My associate in Erwin has evidence that
            would indicate both mines are one in the same but went under both
            names at different times. During the 1700's John Swift operated the
            mines secretly for years and under constant fear of being discovered
            by hostile Indians. The story goes that Swift an Englishman was
            minting conterfeit English coins at this mine using Unaka silver. He
            would than travel back to England with a butt-load of these conterfeit
            coins where he lived well. This activity continued for years until
            Swift was discovered and arrested. His confession stated he had mined
            and minted the conterfeits in the Unaka Mountains in Tennessee. His
            testimony is that he recieved the stamps to create the coins from an
            employee / friend who he never named but claimed worked in the mint in
            England. Since his coins were in fact made of real silver / gold and
            the stamp was perfect Swift's coins were almost undetectable so he got
            away with it for years.

            The Garland family / mine story unfolds in the Unakas at the time of
            the American Civil War. The Garlands are said to have worked the mine
            for generations and had always kept its existence a family secret,
            only known to a few males in the family who needed to know cause they
            were the ones who worked the mine. Although its existence was kept a
            guarded secret from the women folk in the Garland family, the secret
            eventually became known. The Garlands are reported to have discovered
            and removed from the mine 1 press used to stamp and mint coins,
            believed to be the very press Swift had hid in his mine. I have found
            that press and know who has it today. I'm currently waiting for my
            associate in Tennessee to mail me several photos of the press so that
            I can attempt to make a positive ID on it.

            I'm considering the story for Lost Treasure magazine but before I
            began writting it I will need to confirm that the press is indeed from
            Swift's time. Perhaps if it can be linked to a manufacturer we'll be
            able to link it to Swift himself. Most of the geneology work is
            completed so I can confirm Swift and the Garland family both did exist
            and had connections to the Unakas. In fact the Garland family is still
            there.

            For now thats about all I can tell you - I hope to hear from my
            Tennessee associate soon with the photos. Unfortunately he is not
            computer lit so he uses USPS snail mail. If you're interested I'd be
            happy to keep you up to speed as this develops. Since I'll likely
            never set foot in Tennessee I'm not concerned about someone beating me
            to this one.

            Happy Hunting,
            The Hangman

            --- In alltreasuretalesusa@yahoogroups.com, Eddie Krienke
            <dawgvader2000@...> wrote:
            >
            > Sorry it was very late when I posted! Its the
            > Unitas... But Anthony I would be intrested in the
            > Unakas Mountains.. even though In have no clue what
            > there about..
            >
            > --- sarge <sarge3045@...> wrote:
            >
            > >
            > > Guys, I think he might has mis spelled that and its
            > > the Unita Mountains he's talking about. Hope this
            > > helps. Sarge
            > > --- THE HANGMAN <eldorado_hangman@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > > Hey Eddie,
            > > > Is it the Uintas or the Unakas? If its the Unaka
            > > > Mountains than I do
            > > > have info. that I am currently working on RE: The
            > > > John Swift mines and
            > > > their connection to the Lost Garland Mine. I'm
            > > > working with Buddy
            > > > Johnson who wrote the book "Silver in the Unakas"
            > > on
            > > > this subject. If
            > > > it turns out it is the Unakas then let me know and
            > > I
            > > > can share what I
            > > > have with you.
            > > >
            > > > Happy Hunting
            > > > Hangman
            > > >
            > > >
            > > > --- In alltreasuretalesusa@yahoogroups.com,
            > > "Eddie"
            > > > <dawgvader2000@> wrote:
            > > > >
            > > > > I am starting to research a little about Hoyts
            > > > peak and the John Young
            > > > > story....Has anyone ever made it up there?.. Is
            > > it
            > > > on Reservation
            > > > > land?... Do you believe the Lost Josephine
            > > > exist?... I don't know about
            > > > > you but the Uinta mountains are really starting
            > > to
            > > > get me facinated,
            > > > > about that area... The history! The stories...
            > > Why
            > > > are the Uintas so
            > > > > special?... It seems to me its the "Mecca of
            > > > mines"...In your opinion..
            > > > > How important is that Mountain range when it
            > > comes
            > > > to Spanish Gold?
            > > > >
            > > >
            > > >
            > > >
            > > >
            > > >
            > >
            > >
            > > __________________________________________________
            > > Do You Yahoo!?
            > > Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam
            > > protection around
            > > http://mail.yahoo.com
            > >
            >
            >
            > __________________________________________________
            > Do You Yahoo!?
            > Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
            > http://mail.yahoo.com
            >
          • Rob Parker
            http://p216.ezboard.com/ffwchathenbruckandtheroadesminesfrm99
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 1, 2006
            • 0 Attachment
            • Steve Robertson
              ... Been lurking in this group for a long time, but you finally hit on a subject close to home where I can add some info. There s a great guide to the
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 2, 2006
              • 0 Attachment
                On Apr 1, 2006, at 3:12 PM, THE HANGMAN wrote:
                > As far as the Unakas goes I'll have to depend
                > on the wasteland once known as my memory here without pulling files.
                > They are located in Tennessee on the state line with another
                > surrounding state.

                Been lurking in this group for a long time, but you finally hit on a
                subject close to home where I can add some info. There's a great
                guide to the Tennessee Mountains online here:

                http://sherpaguides.com/tennessee/index.html

                I live in Northeast Georgia – just a short ride from these mountains
                on the Tennessee – North Carolina border. Keep us informed, Hangman,
                about the developments on your story, maybe I can get in a little
                searching before your story hits the newsstands!

                I didn't recognize the name at first, but after doing a little
                research, I realized that we use a variation of the name down here in
                Georgia. We use the name "Unicoi." And that brings up a coincidence.
                I'm a music promoter (among other things) and I'm getting ready for a
                music retreat coming up on April 6-8 at Georgia's Unicoi State Park.
                Y'all remember the actor Ronny Cox and the part he played in the
                movie "Deliverance"? Well, Ronny is also a talented musician. He's
                returning to the area where most of the scenes for "Deliverance were
                filmed and inviting his fans and friends to join him for a couple of
                days. We are also putting on a concert Friday, April 7, 8 pm at the
                Unicoi Lodge that's open to the public. You can learn more about this
                at:

                http://www.americanaretreats.com/

                Hmmm... maybe I need to plan some combined music and treasure hunting
                retreats!

                Steve R.
              • THE HANGMAN
                Hey Steve, I trying to recall Deliverance... was Ronnie the guy on top? LOL Just kidding around. Steve were glad to finally hear from you and thanks for
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 2, 2006
                • 0 Attachment
                  Hey Steve,

                  I trying to recall Deliverance... was Ronnie the guy on top? LOL Just
                  kidding around. Steve were glad to finally hear from you and thanks
                  for posting. For anyone who may be interested I will post my research
                  progress here but in return I'd ask that any members who pursue this
                  treasure keep the rest of us here posted on your progress... without
                  revealing anything to important such as where the X marks the spot
                  exactly. Perhaps there are other members in Georgia and Tennesse who
                  are near the Unakas or as Steve informs us the Unicois who may want to
                  team up with ya Steve?

                  For those interested in the story check out Buddy Johnson's book on
                  the Swift & Garland Lost Mines in the Unaka mountains. Heres the link-
                  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0932807364/ref=sr_11_1/103-3772699-9523043?%5Fencoding=UTF8

                  Thanks again for posting Steve hope to hear from you again soon.

                  The Hangman


                  --- In alltreasuretalesusa@yahoogroups.com, Steve Robertson
                  <stever@...> wrote:
                  >
                  >
                  > On Apr 1, 2006, at 3:12 PM, THE HANGMAN wrote:
                  > > As far as the Unakas goes I'll have to depend
                  > > on the wasteland once known as my memory here without pulling files.
                  > > They are located in Tennessee on the state line with another
                  > > surrounding state.
                  >
                  > Been lurking in this group for a long time, but you finally hit on a
                  > subject close to home where I can add some info. There's a great
                  > guide to the Tennessee Mountains online here:
                  >
                  > http://sherpaguides.com/tennessee/index.html
                  >
                  > I live in Northeast Georgia – just a short ride from these mountains
                  > on the Tennessee – North Carolina border. Keep us informed, Hangman,
                  > about the developments on your story, maybe I can get in a little
                  > searching before your story hits the newsstands!
                  >
                  > I didn't recognize the name at first, but after doing a little
                  > research, I realized that we use a variation of the name down here in
                  > Georgia. We use the name "Unicoi." And that brings up a coincidence.
                  > I'm a music promoter (among other things) and I'm getting ready for a
                  > music retreat coming up on April 6-8 at Georgia's Unicoi State Park.
                  > Y'all remember the actor Ronny Cox and the part he played in the
                  > movie "Deliverance"? Well, Ronny is also a talented musician. He's
                  > returning to the area where most of the scenes for "Deliverance were
                  > filmed and inviting his fans and friends to join him for a couple of
                  > days. We are also putting on a concert Friday, April 7, 8 pm at the
                  > Unicoi Lodge that's open to the public. You can learn more about this
                  > at:
                  >
                  > http://www.americanaretreats.com/
                  >
                  > Hmmm... maybe I need to plan some combined music and treasure hunting
                  > retreats!
                  >
                  > Steve R.
                  >
                Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.