Hoyts peak.... The Lost Josephine mine

  • Eddie
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 31 9:07 PM
      I am starting to research a little about Hoyts peak and the John Young
      story....Has anyone ever made it up there?.. Is it on Reservation
      land?... Do you believe the Lost Josephine exist?... I don't know about
      you but the Uinta mountains are really starting to get me facinated,
      about that area... The history! The stories... Why are the Uintas so
      special?... It seems to me its the "Mecca of mines"...In your opinion..
      How important is that Mountain range when it comes to Spanish Gold?
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 1, 2006
        Hey Eddie,
        Is it the Uintas or the Unakas? If its the Unaka Mountains than I do
        have info. that I am currently working on RE: The John Swift mines and
        their connection to the Lost Garland Mine. I'm working with Buddy
        Johnson who wrote the book "Silver in the Unakas" on this subject. If
        it turns out it is the Unakas then let me know and I can share what I
        have with you.

        Happy Hunting
        Hangman

        --- In alltreasuretalesusa@yahoogroups.com, "Eddie"
        <dawgvader2000@...> wrote:

        > I am starting to research a little about Hoyts peak and the John Young
        > story....Has anyone ever made it up there?.. Is it on Reservation
        > land?... Do you believe the Lost Josephine exist?... I don't know about
        > you but the Uinta mountains are really starting to get me facinated,
        > about that area... The history! The stories... Why are the Uintas so
        > special?... It seems to me its the "Mecca of mines"...In your opinion..
        > How important is that Mountain range when it comes to Spanish Gold?

      • sarge
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 1, 2006
          Guys, I think he might has mis spelled that and its
          the Unita Mountains he's talking about. Hope this
          helps. Sarge
          --- THE HANGMAN <eldorado_hangman@...> wrote:

          > Hey Eddie,
          > Is it the Uintas or the Unakas? If its the Unaka
          > Mountains than I do
          > have info. that I am currently working on RE: The
          > John Swift mines and
          > their connection to the Lost Garland Mine. I'm
          > working with Buddy
          > Johnson who wrote the book "Silver in the Unakas" on
          > this subject. If
          > it turns out it is the Unakas then let me know and I
          > can share what I
          > have with you.
          >
          > Happy Hunting
          > Hangman
          >

          > --- In alltreasuretalesusa@yahoogroups.com, "Eddie"
          > <dawgvader2000@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > I am starting to research a little about Hoyts
          > peak and the John Young
          > > story....Has anyone ever made it up there?.. Is it
          > on Reservation
          > > land?... Do you believe the Lost Josephine
          > exist?... I don't know about
          > > you but the Uinta mountains are really starting to
          > get me facinated,
          > > about that area... The history! The stories... Why
          > are the Uintas so
          > > special?... It seems to me its the "Mecca of
          > mines"...In your opinion..
          > > How important is that Mountain range when it comes
          > to Spanish Gold?

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Eddie Krienke
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 1, 2006
            Sorry it was very late when I posted! Its the
            Unitas... But Anthony I would be intrested in the
            Unakas Mountains.. even though In have no clue what
            there about..

            http://mail.yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 1, 2006
              Eddie,
              I don't have anything on the Unitas but a good source here is Floyd
              research site for leads. As far as the Unakas goes I'll have to depend
              on the wasteland once known as my memory here without pulling files.
              They are located in Tennessee on the state line with another
              surrounding state. Again the area is infested with tales of lost
              mines, however a number of other treasures are associated with these
              mountains. The two primary stories I'm looking into are of the Swift
              Mines & the Garland Mine. My associate in Erwin has evidence that
              would indicate both mines are one in the same but went under both
              names at different times. During the 1700's John Swift operated the
              mines secretly for years and under constant fear of being discovered
              by hostile Indians. The story goes that Swift an Englishman was
              minting conterfeit English coins at this mine using Unaka silver. He
              would than travel back to England with a butt-load of these conterfeit
              coins where he lived well. This activity continued for years until
              Swift was discovered and arrested. His confession stated he had mined
              and minted the conterfeits in the Unaka Mountains in Tennessee. His
              testimony is that he recieved the stamps to create the coins from an
              employee / friend who he never named but claimed worked in the mint in
              England. Since his coins were in fact made of real silver / gold and
              the stamp was perfect Swift's coins were almost undetectable so he got
              away with it for years.

              The Garland family / mine story unfolds in the Unakas at the time of
              the American Civil War. The Garlands are said to have worked the mine
              for generations and had always kept its existence a family secret,
              only known to a few males in the family who needed to know cause they
              were the ones who worked the mine. Although its existence was kept a
              guarded secret from the women folk in the Garland family, the secret
              eventually became known. The Garlands are reported to have discovered
              and removed from the mine 1 press used to stamp and mint coins,
              believed to be the very press Swift had hid in his mine. I have found
              that press and know who has it today. I'm currently waiting for my
              associate in Tennessee to mail me several photos of the press so that
              I can attempt to make a positive ID on it.

              I'm considering the story for Lost Treasure magazine but before I
              began writting it I will need to confirm that the press is indeed from
              Swift's time. Perhaps if it can be linked to a manufacturer we'll be
              able to link it to Swift himself. Most of the geneology work is
              completed so I can confirm Swift and the Garland family both did exist
              and had connections to the Unakas. In fact the Garland family is still
              there.

              For now thats about all I can tell you - I hope to hear from my
              Tennessee associate soon with the photos. Unfortunately he is not
              computer lit so he uses USPS snail mail. If you're interested I'd be
              happy to keep you up to speed as this develops. Since I'll likely
              never set foot in Tennessee I'm not concerned about someone beating me
              to this one.

              Happy Hunting,
              The Hangman

              --- In alltreasuretalesusa@yahoogroups.com, Eddie Krienke
              <dawgvader2000@...> wrote:

              > Sorry it was very late when I posted! Its the
              > Unitas... But Anthony I would be intrested in the
              > Unakas Mountains.. even though In have no clue what
              > there about..
              >
              > --- sarge <sarge3045@...> wrote:
              >

              > > Guys, I think he might has mis spelled that and its
              > > the Unita Mountains he's talking about. Hope this
              > > helps. Sarge
              > > --- THE HANGMAN <eldorado_hangman@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > > Hey Eddie,
              > > > Is it the Uintas or the Unakas? If its the Unaka
              > > > Mountains than I do
              > > > have info. that I am currently working on RE: The
              > > > John Swift mines and
              > > > their connection to the Lost Garland Mine. I'm
              > > > working with Buddy
              > > > Johnson who wrote the book "Silver in the Unakas"
              > > on
              > > > this subject. If
              > > > it turns out it is the Unakas then let me know and
              > > > can share what I
              > > > have with you.
              > > >
              > > > Happy Hunting
              > > > Hangman
              > > >

              > > > --- In alltreasuretalesusa@yahoogroups.com,

              > > > peak and the John Young
              > > it
              > > > on Reservation
              > > > exist?... I don't know about
              > > > get me facinated,
              > > Why
              > > > are the Uintas so
              > > > mines"...In your opinion..
              > > comes
              > > > to Spanish Gold?

              > > protection around
              > > http://mail.yahoo.com

              > http://mail.yahoo.com

            • Rob Parker
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 1, 2006
              • Steve Robertson
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 2, 2006
                  On Apr 1, 2006, at 3:12 PM, THE HANGMAN wrote:
                  > As far as the Unakas goes I'll have to depend
                  > on the wasteland once known as my memory here without pulling files.
                  > They are located in Tennessee on the state line with another
                  > surrounding state.

                  Been lurking in this group for a long time, but you finally hit on a
                  subject close to home where I can add some info. There's a great
                  guide to the Tennessee Mountains online here:

                  http://sherpaguides.com/tennessee/index.html

                  I live in Northeast Georgia – just a short ride from these mountains
                  on the Tennessee – North Carolina border. Keep us informed, Hangman,
                  about the developments on your story, maybe I can get in a little
                  searching before your story hits the newsstands!

                  I didn't recognize the name at first, but after doing a little
                  research, I realized that we use a variation of the name down here in
                  Georgia. We use the name "Unicoi." And that brings up a coincidence.
                  I'm a music promoter (among other things) and I'm getting ready for a
                  music retreat coming up on April 6-8 at Georgia's Unicoi State Park.
                  Y'all remember the actor Ronny Cox and the part he played in the
                  movie "Deliverance"? Well, Ronny is also a talented musician. He's
                  returning to the area where most of the scenes for "Deliverance were
                  filmed and inviting his fans and friends to join him for a couple of
                  days. We are also putting on a concert Friday, April 7, 8 pm at the
                  Unicoi Lodge that's open to the public. You can learn more about this
                  at:

                  http://www.americanaretreats.com/

                  Hmmm... maybe I need to plan some combined music and treasure hunting
                  retreats!

                  Steve R.
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 2, 2006
                    Hey Steve,

                    I trying to recall Deliverance... was Ronnie the guy on top? LOL Just
                    kidding around. Steve were glad to finally hear from you and thanks
                    for posting. For anyone who may be interested I will post my research
                    progress here but in return I'd ask that any members who pursue this
                    treasure keep the rest of us here posted on your progress... without
                    revealing anything to important such as where the X marks the spot
                    exactly. Perhaps there are other members in Georgia and Tennesse who
                    are near the Unakas or as Steve informs us the Unicois who may want to
                    team up with ya Steve?

                    For those interested in the story check out Buddy Johnson's book on
                    the Swift & Garland Lost Mines in the Unaka mountains. Heres the link-
                    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0932807364/ref=sr_11_1/103-3772699-9523043?%5Fencoding=UTF8

                    Thanks again for posting Steve hope to hear from you again soon.

                    The Hangman

                    --- In alltreasuretalesusa@yahoogroups.com, Steve Robertson