[ALL TREASURE TALES USA ] Re: possiblity ???????

    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 26, 2006
      Well Ron I'm on a mission I'll let you and Marc know if I come across
      something of intrest.

      HM

      --- In alltreasuretalesusa@yahoogroups.com, Bro Ron <kd5weg@y...> wrote:

      > i do not, this is the 1st for me to hear about it when i came across
      the article

      > THE HANGMAN <eldorado_hangman@y...> wrote: Hey Ron & Marc thanks
      for the posts. I caught the article and think it
      > might make for a great article. Do either one of you know if any
      > published accounts exist for this story. I'll do a little bit of
      > follow up on it to see if it could be worth writing; I had my knee
      > surgery today and seem to have even more time to sit around on my
      > ample ass than previously. Let me know and my thanks to you both in
      > advance.
      >
      > Hangman
      > --- In alltreasuretalesusa@yahoogroups.com, "ron odom" <kd5weg@y...>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > http://www.texasescapes.com/AllThingsHistorical/Fort-Teran-204BB.htm
      > > ((((((this is interesting artical i dont know if this site is
      > > preserved and off limits but im going to try and find out this may
      > > be a good place to go spend a week ??)))))))use the link and read the
      > > article it wet me whiskers now i just need the days off to go

      > Craft hobby Hobby and craft supply Treasure hunting
      Hobby magazine Hobby supply Metal detector treasure hunting

      Service.

      > ---------------------------------
      >

      > bro ron

    • Marc Bothne
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 27, 2006
        Hangman: I thought the ferry crossing would "pay off
        better" than trying to do the fort. When hurring to
        get onto the ferry people would drop things, just like
        getting on buses.<G> If they fail into the water they
        aren't going to stop an dpick them up that often.
        Those were my thoughts about this site. Also it seems
        to me that it would be easier to get permission to
        hunt the edge of the river, versus trying to hunt the
        fort area.

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Sandra
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 27, 2006
          Since I'm originally from East Texas, I love historical stories.
          I'm sure you've read this story but just in case.......

          http://www.tamu.edu/ccbn/dewitt/ftteran.htm

          --- In alltreasuretalesusa@yahoogroups.com, Marc Bothne <mbothne@y...> wrote:

          > Hangman: I thought the ferry crossing would "pay off
          > better" than trying to do the fort. When hurring to
          > get onto the ferry people would drop things, just like
          > getting on buses.<G> If they fail into the water they
          > aren't going to stop an dpick them up that often.
          > Those were my thoughts about this site. Also it seems
          > to me that it would be easier to get permission to
          > hunt the edge of the river, versus trying to hunt the
          > fort area.

          > http://mail.yahoo.com

        • The Hangman
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 28, 2006
            Hi Marc,
            Yes I agree with your post in terms of where to
            search. If the old Fort sits on public land its likely
            off limits for detectors. Like Sandra my research will
            focus initially on history - then on the likelyhood of
            treasure. Sounds like a good story to cover and if I
            come up with something new I'll post it here. I've
            googled as suggested by our exalted leader Mr. Mann
            and looked over a couple of
            Websites. Not much specific re: a treasure however.
            And let me say its great to hear from Sandra again!
            Chat again soon.

            Best regards,
            Hangman
          • Sandra
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 28, 2006
              Hi Hangman!

              Hope your feeling better. This site might give more info on the location of the ferry site.

              http://www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/online/articles/FF/qbf50_print.html

              --- In alltreasuretalesusa@yahoogroups.com, The Hangman <eldorado_hangman@y...> wrote:

              > Hi Marc,
              > Yes I agree with your post in terms of where to
              > search. If the old Fort sits on public land its likely
              > off limits for detectors. Like Sandra my research will
              > focus initially on history - then on the likelyhood of
              > treasure. Sounds like a good story to cover and if I
              > come up with something new I'll post it here. I've
              > googled as suggested by our exalted leader Mr. Mann
              > and looked over a couple of
              > Websites. Not much specific re: a treasure however.
              > And let me say its great to hear from Sandra again!
              > Chat again soon.
              >
              > Best regards,
              > Hangman

            • The Hangman
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 30, 2006
                Sandra.
                Its good to hear from you! Thanks for the link it was
                very informative. Yea my butt is stuck in "recliner
                mode" for up to 8 weeks and I'm using crutches, but
                hey I'm still alive and that is alot to be thankful
                for. Hopefully by summer I will be out hiking and
                treasure hunting again. Take care down in Texas girl.

                Hangman
              • Sandra
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 30, 2006
                  Hi Hangman,

                  I don't think I could stand being in the house for 8 weeks! What in the
                  world did you do to yourself?

                  Just have to touch on another Texas treasure tale. Maybe you've heard
                  this before.

                  Gentlemen Pirate Laffite attacked the Santa Rosa in or close to
                  Matagorda Bay. He hired Gaspar Trammel to deliver the treasure to St.
                  Louis on a trail that has come to be known as Trammel Trace.

                  http://www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/online/articles/TT/ext3.html

                  The wagan train had traveled 200 miles and camped next to a lake that
                  was fed by the Sabine River. Learning that Mexican soldiers were closing
                  in on them, Trammel told his head driver (Dawson)to dump the treasure
                  into the lake. The soldiers attacked, Trammel was killed but Robert
                  Dawson escaped. The Mexican soldiers were almost to San Antonio when
                  they discoved the wagons that they had captured did not hold the silver.
                  They went back to the lake but a heavy rain had raised the level and
                  they could not find the ingots.

                  Dawson, escaping to St. Louis, tired invain to organize a group to
                  return to the lake and recover the treasure. He died clinging to the
                  truth that the silver was in the small lake in the East Texas piney
                  woods.

                  In 1895, three Mexicans with maps, arrived in the area to search for the
                  treasure. They tired draining the lake (now called Hendricks Lake) but
                  underground seepage filled the lake faster than they could draw if off.
                  In 1885, Fox Tatum also tried to drain the lake but was not successful.
                  Tatun, TX is named for him.

                  In 1928 three fisherman brought to the surface 3 bars of silver they
                  found in shallow water. They could not find more.

                  In 1959 a drilling company dynamited near the lake, and found very old
                  wagon wheels, at least 100 years old.

                  In 1960 a man using a powerful metal detector stated that one part of
                  the lake gave off positive indications of dense clusters of metal on the
                  bottom but did not do a formal search.

                  In 1975 two men with diving gear found pieces of wood, metal fittings
                  and old wagon rims. They gave up looking after 3 days.

                  I wish I had known about this years ago! This lake is close to Longview,
                  TX and I spent some time there many, many years ago! Also, knew a very
                  cute guy named Skip Trammel when I was in high school. Hmmm. Wonder if
                  he is any kin of old Gasper.:)

                  I found several links about this treasure on Google, including one about
                  a guy that is writing a book about the treasure hunters, not the
                  treasure!

                  Happy writing!

                  <eldorado_hangman@y...> wrote:

                  > Sandra.
                  > Its good to hear from you! Thanks for the link it was
                  > very informative. Yea my butt is stuck in "recliner
                  > mode" for up to 8 weeks and I'm using crutches, but
                  > hey I'm still alive and that is alot to be thankful
                  > for. Hopefully by summer I will be out hiking and
                  > treasure hunting again. Take care down in Texas girl.
                  >
                  > Hangman

                • ron odom
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 31, 2006
                    hello Sandra thanks for this post i live in jacksonville only 1
                    hour from longview and tatum is the lake in the tatum area ?? i
                    have a good friend who is a dive instructer and we may be able to go
                    look around one day ..it is interesting--- In

                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 31, 2006
                      Thanks Sandra! Please keep posting more great stories on the forum
                      with links... Who knows one lucky member might just strike it rich! By
                      the way my knee surgery was to repair a "meniscal tear," not that I
                      have a clue what that is, but I can say with some degree of authority
                      that it really hurts. Thank God for Vicodin, beer and medical
                      marijuana. I'm thinking I'll likely pull through - I just hate sitting
                      around which is the worst of it. Again thanks for the posts and links
                      I look forward to seeing more of them.

                      Hangman

                    • Sandra
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 31, 2006
                        GREAT! I expect my cut when you strike it rich.:) Good hunting. I'll try
                        to 'dig' up more information on East Tx treasures.
                        wrote:

> [...]
                        > very
                        > > cute guy named Skip Trammel when I was in high school. Hmmm.
                        > Wonder if
                        > > he is any kin of old Gasper.:)
                        > >
                        > > I found several links about this treasure on Google, including one
                        > about
                        > > a guy that is writing a book about the treasure hunters, not the
                        > > treasure!
                        > >
                        > > Happy writing!
                        > >

                        > > --- In alltreasuretalesusa@yahoogroups.com, The Hangman
                        > > eldorado_hangman@y... wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > Sandra.
                        > > > Its good to hear from you! Thanks for the link it was
                        > > > very informative. Yea my butt is stuck in "recliner
                        > > > mode" for up to 8 weeks and I'm using crutches, but
                        > > > hey I'm still alive and that is alot to be thankful
                        > > > for. Hopefully by summer I will be out hiking and
                        > > > treasure hunting again. Take care down in Texas girl.

                      • Sandra
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jan 31, 2006
                          OUCH! That sounds really bad. Looks as if you've got a good supply of
                          pain killers and sounds as if you need them. I'll try to find you more
                          good links.