Re: [ALL TREASURE TALES USA ] Detecting In Maui

  • larry
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 17, 2005
      as a rule of thumb,when hunting on the beach i dig
      everything simply because it's so much easier to
      dig.being inland now i don't get many opps to hunt the
      beach...man i sure miss it,and i envy you to be able
      to hunt maui,it's been a dream of mine.i can tell you
      , i had a friend who had his detector all packed up in
      the hard case that came with it.when he put it through
      the scanner you can imagine why it looked like a
      bomb!a box-coiled wire-some round thing-long tubular
      items that could have been explosives. i lmao when he
      told what happened, but it wasn't very funny to him or
      the authorities.they actually did think he had a
      bomb.well he almost missed his flight.they told him
      that he should have let them know what it was ahead of
      time,although i can't imagine how that would have made
      any difference.well good luck on maui hope you find
      something special....GOOD HUNTING....Larry

      --- rjwusa <spotlightusa@...> wrote:

      ---------------------------------
      I have a Whites XLT with an additional Bigfoot coil. I
      will be in Maui
      for 7 day and intend on taking the detector with me to
      do some
      detecting on the beach. Any pointers or advice for
      beach hunting.

      Also, I am of the opinion that Hawaian beaches would
      not have too much
      of a mineralization problem as they are composed
      mostly of volcanic and
      coral based sand. Would I would I be correct on this?

      Lastly, I will be flying 1st class with the detector.
      Is there enough
      room in 1st class to get it on the plane, and are
      there problems with
      the security ex-ray machines on the detector?

      Many thanks in advance.

      Terms of Service.

      ---------------------------------

      LARRY B
    • Buddy Criddle
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 18, 2005
        larry <xltlb@...> wrote:as a rule of thumb,when hunting on the beach i dig

        --- rjwusa <spotlightusa@...> wrote:

        ---------------------------------
        I have a Whites XLT with an additional Bigfoot coil. I
        will be in Maui
        for 7 day and intend on taking the detector with me to
        do some
        detecting on the beach. Any pointers or advice for
        beach hunting.

        Also, I am of the opinion that Hawaian beaches would
        not have too much
        of a mineralization problem as they are composed
        mostly of volcanic and
        coral based sand. Would I would I be correct on this?

        Lastly, I will be flying 1st class with the detector.
        Is there enough
        room in 1st class to get it on the plane, and are
        there problems with
        the security ex-ray machines on the detector?

        Many thanks in advance.

        Thanks for the info regarding the fact that a metal detector could be easily mistaken for a bomb.If I ever run into a situation like that I will tell them ahead of time that it is actually a metal detector instead.Buddy

        Terms of Service.

      • rjwusa
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 23, 2005
          Thanks Larry. I'll call the airlines and find out how to get the
          detector through check in.

          I'll also let you folks know how it all goes.

          Randy

          --- In alltreasuretalesusa@yahoogroups.com, Buddy Criddle
          <buddycriddle@y...> wrote:

          > larry <xltlb@s...> wrote:as a rule of thumb,when hunting on the
          beach i dig
          > everything simply because it's so much easier to
          > dig.being inland now i don't get many opps to hunt the
          > beach...man i sure miss it,and i envy you to be able
          > to hunt maui,it's been a dream of mine.i can tell you
          > , i had a friend who had his detector all packed up in
          > the hard case that came with it.when he put it through
          > the scanner you can imagine why it looked like a
          > bomb!a box-coiled wire-some round thing-long tubular
          > items that could have been explosives. i lmao when he
          > told what happened, but it wasn't very funny to him or
          > the authorities.they actually did think he had a
          > bomb.well he almost missed his flight.they told him
          > that he should have let them know what it was ahead of
          > time,although i can't imagine how that would have made
          > any difference.well good luck on maui hope you find
          > something special....GOOD HUNTING....Larry
          >
          > --- rjwusa <spotlightusa@c...> wrote:
          >

          > ---------------------------------
          > I have a Whites XLT with an additional Bigfoot coil. I
          > will be in Maui
          > for 7 day and intend on taking the detector with me to
          > do some
          > detecting on the beach. Any pointers or advice for
          > beach hunting.
          >
          > Also, I am of the opinion that Hawaian beaches would
          > not have too much
          > of a mineralization problem as they are composed
          > mostly of volcanic and
          > coral based sand. Would I would I be correct on this?
          >
          > Lastly, I will be flying 1st class with the detector.
          > Is there enough
          > room in 1st class to get it on the plane, and are
          > there problems with
          > the security ex-ray machines on the detector?
          >
          > Many thanks in advance.
          >
          > Thanks for the info regarding the fact that a metal detector could
          be easily mistaken for a bomb.If I ever run into a situation like
          that I will tell them ahead of time that it is actually a metal
          detector instead.Buddy

          > Terms of Service.

          Service.

        • Don DeLauder
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 24, 2005
            Check your baggage at the ticket counter or at the curbside baggage
            check-in.
            Leave the lock on any case or suitcase unlocked as the airport security
            will cut the lock off your suitcase or suspected baggage.
            If you check the baggage then you will not be stopped at the metal
            detectors as you will not have any suspect material for them to have to
            go through.
            Let the airport authorities do their job on their terms, instead of
            trying to bully your way through airport security.
            Let the airport baggage handlers and airport security have easy access
            to your contents of your luggage.
            Let them inspect your luggage on their terms, rather than with you
            breathing down their neck and also without holding up a long line of
            other people, just like you, trying to make it onto their perspective
            flights.
            Airport security has their hands full with all the wacko jerk terrorists
            out there, give them a break and they will make life easier for you.
            Remember, they are trying to do their best to protect you from wacko
            bombers and razor blade knife carrying idiots.
            Thank you.
            We now return to our regularly scheduled program,

            don

          • David Mork
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 28, 2005
              Hi All
              I for one will NEVER check my detector in as baggage.
              Having seen too many times what happens with suit
              cases and duffel bags. I hand carry my Whites DFX in
              the Whites Hard Case as carry on. The hard case will
              just fit most all over head bins as it is just smaller
              than the maximum size limit. One thing to remember is
              to pack your digging tool in with your checked baggage
              as they will remove knives, trowels, and anything that
              you will dig with. I have hand carried my DFX (and my
              XLT on prior trips) without any problem. The worst
              that has ever happened was once I was asked what was
              in my bag and when I explained it was OK and the hard
              case has never been opened going through security! I
              wish you all luck in your travels and may you all find
              treasure to tell about.
              Dave Mork
              THing4CSA
              PS: Remember; Don't leave it in the ground!

              test'; ">

              http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
            • David Mork
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 12, 2005
                Hi All
                I don't know where you are flying out of but i fly out
                of Dulles-Washington here in Sterling Virginia and I
                have only had one inspector in twenty-five years of
                flying ask what I was carrying. I pack a Whites DFX in
                a Whites hardcase and hand carry it everywhere I fly.
                Never a problem the hardcase has the Whites logo so
                anyone can see what it is. I do pack all my digging
                tools in my checked baggage as I don't wish to lose my
                bayonets. I wish you are well and hope you find real
                treasure.

                --- Buddy Criddle <buddycriddle@...> wrote:

                > larry <xltlb@...> wrote:as a rule of
                > thumb,when hunting on the beach i dig
                > everything simply because it's so much easier to
                > dig.being inland now i don't get many opps to hunt
                > the
                > beach...man i sure miss it,and i envy you to be able
                > to hunt maui,it's been a dream of mine.i can tell
                > you
                > , i had a friend who had his detector all packed up
                > in
                > the hard case that came with it.when he put it
                > through
                > the scanner you can imagine why it looked like a
                > bomb!a box-coiled wire-some round thing-long tubular
                > items that could have been explosives. i lmao when
                > he
                > told what happened, but it wasn't very funny to him
                > or
                > the authorities.they actually did think he had a
                > bomb.well he almost missed his flight.they told him
                > that he should have let them know what it was ahead
                > of
                > time,although i can't imagine how that would have
                > made
                > any difference.well good luck on maui hope you find
                > something special....GOOD HUNTING....Larry
                >
                > --- rjwusa <spotlightusa@...> wrote:
                >

                > ---------------------------------
                > I have a Whites XLT with an additional Bigfoot coil.
                > will be in Maui
                > for 7 day and intend on taking the detector with me
                > do some
                > detecting on the beach. Any pointers or advice for
                > beach hunting.
                >
                > Also, I am of the opinion that Hawaian beaches would
                > not have too much
                > of a mineralization problem as they are composed
                > mostly of volcanic and
                > coral based sand. Would I would I be correct on
                > this?
                >
                > Lastly, I will be flying 1st class with the
                > detector.
                > Is there enough
                > room in 1st class to get it on the plane, and are
                > there problems with
                > the security ex-ray machines on the detector?
                >
                > Many thanks in advance.
                >
                > Thanks for the info regarding the fact that a metal
                > detector could be easily mistaken for a bomb.If I
                > ever run into a situation like that I will tell them
                > ahead of time that it is actually a metal detector
                > instead.Buddy

                > to:

                > Yahoo!
                > Terms of Service.