Re: [ALL TREASURE TALES USA ] treasure hunting "site dating"

  • Walker Joel
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 1, 2004
      Do any companies still use pull-tabs on cans? If not, do you know when were the last ones were produced?

      Thanks

      radio1112003 <radio1112003@...> wrote:
      1775--square nails came into use:
      1800--free blown bottles,ended about this time
      1880--wire nails were invented
      1880--flat sea food cans were constructed of 3-pieces before this date
      1884--ventless depressed top sea food cans came into use
      1892--crown top bottles were invented
      1895--tin-can "key" was invented
      1900--end of square nails
      1900--crown top bottles became commen
      1900--paper labels over took embossing
      1903--bottle seams now went to the top
      1917--foor cans were soldered together before this date
      1917--glass after this date "no longer turns purple"
      1935--first beer can put into use
      1935--first cone top beer can brought out
      1954--first aluminum beer can
      1955--cone tops became absolete
      1962--pull tabs were invented

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
      Click Here

    • steve BRENNAN

        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 3, 2004
          Thanks.

          I seem to recall pull tabs on beer cans into the late '70s, but could easily be wrong.
          Anybody else remember their last pull tab?

          steve BRENNAN <radio1112003@...> wrote:
          i dont know of any companies that still use them, and i believe the end wan early 70'sto mid 70'.

          Walker Joel wrote:Do any companies still use pull-tabs on cans? If not, do you know when were the last ones were produced?

          Thanks

          radio1112003 wrote:
          1775--square nails came into use:
          1800--free blown bottles,ended about this time
          1880--wire nails were invented
          1880--flat sea food cans were constructed of 3-pieces before this date
          1884--ventless depressed top sea food cans came into use
          1892--crown top bottles were invented
          1895--tin-can "key" was invented
          1900--end of square nails
          1900--crown top bottles became commen
          1900--paper labels over took embossing
          1903--bottle seams now went to the top
          1917--foor cans were soldered together before this date
          1917--glass after this date "no longer turns purple"
          1935--first beer can put into use
          1935--first cone top beer can brought out
          1954--first aluminum beer can
          1955--cone tops became absolete
          1962--pull tabs were invented

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
          Click Here

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Terry J. Deveau
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 3, 2004
            According to this site, pull tabs were gone from the market by 1985.
            There are some good photos at these sites too ...

            http://www.beercanworld.com/beercans_types.htm

            http://home.comcast.net/~collectiblesodacans/Cokepg1.htm

            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 3, 2004
              Sorry, typo, that should be 1975. Sorry. Reposting corrected ...

              According to this site, pull tabs were gone from the market by 1975.

                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 4, 2004
                  Many thanks,

                  Your list and links will help a lot in dating the older sites here.

                  (And either I started drinking beer earlier than I thought, or I'm older than I like to believe.)

                  Thanks again,
                  Joel

                  steve BRENNAN <radio1112003@...> wrote:
                  joel it was 1975. your friend terry lee