Short Story

  • Hoang Ho
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 10, 2003
      This story represents an actual Mean Co. Inc. Treasure/recycle site, available for speculation. Central New York is an underdeveloped area in terms of its archaeological potential. George Washington had farmland out there and the fort complex from the Revolution is still out there. Contact Mean Co. Inc. for a list of projects in CNY.

      Short Story from book 'Short Stories of Lost Treasure in the Adirondacks' by Hoang Ho

      The Abenaki Wolf-Charter Cache

      The people that plied the woodlands of the Adirondacks and the Mohawk Valley were a hard working lot. Though there is little historical records or proof, the trappers outposts and trading villages of the Native-Americans and Euroexplorers were in existence as early as 1660 and before. In facty the hidden pirate edens of tropical Atlantic were only half as secret as the other places such as the Adirondacks.
      Even as the wars of the Indians and French and the Revolution with England came about, the hearty souls of the area worked their trades. Honest farmers made gold for their woork, and trappers and loggers as well. Equally distant from Philadelphia and New York, Boston and Montreal, the isolated citizens of Central New York found it necessary to make primitive banks for their gold storage. Elaborate underground bulwarks were constructed both as secret trade centers and underground malls. The places served as bank vaults and fortresses as well.
      This is the story of the Abenaki wolf-charter sponsored back near what is now Poland, New York. Over the years a fellowship of trading has include varioud groups with a common interest called guilds. It was a conglomerate of guilds that built the underground cave near Poland. Mostly law-abiding and churchgoing, the group employed a Native American slave or servant to do the hard work of digging. They estimated that it would take two months of hard work to complete the job. Since it was a secret location they thought it was best if only one person do the hard work of digging.
      These men were undereducated yet wealthy beyond all their dreams. They did fear the highway a bit and in their advancing age began to disagree with sea or Great Lakes voyages. Their combined wealth was estimated to weigh over 13 tons in bullion of all types. There was tin,zinc, and copper and bronze. There was gold and silver and a chest of coins and jewels.
      The underground bunker, being built by a man named Conroy, was of specific dimensions. As each chamber was finished the treasure was moved deeper and deeper into the earth. At first the leaders of the guilds came regularly to count the bullion each time it was moved, but they soon grew tired of this chore. Conroy worked for three months without a break, at which time he was accused of stealing one bar of gold, but it was hardly missed. The dimension of the final and largest chamber was to be 20 x 24 feet with a ten foot head clearance. There were to be wooden beams and structural supoorts as well. The secret location of the cave necessitated a full days ride on horseback or a two days journey on foot for a round trip. Noone knows what happened exactly, but Conroy was putting the final touches on the vault, hammering with a great wooden hammer on a support beam. Two of the guildmembers, actually a bit afraid of the place (and Conroy) lingered near the entrance to the cavelike
      structure. All of a sudden a loud crash was heard and smoky,dusty dirt blew towards them from deep in the vault. After calling Conroy's name again and again with no answer, it was assumed he had died in the collapse. The guildmembers left immediatly and headed for home.

      Legend has it that the guildmembers were out to murder Conroy that day as he finished the job. Conroy was the only one outside of the guilds that knew of the location. Some guild leaders didn't even tell their members. The enterprising guildmembers continued to prosper and only considered the place as a sort of faraway Fort Knox.

      But Conroy hadn't died. Left for dead, the man had been finishing the strongest support beam when the cave-in occured. This location offorded him a safe pocket of strength from the cave-in. The peculiar shape of the mountainside and the lack of earth on top of the final chamber or room oof gold simply caused an open-air effect to the vault. Conroy could see the light of day above him, and after some careful digging he climbed the eight feet or so to safety. He climbed out just in time to see a fading glimps of the guildmembers.

      Perhaps noone knows where that vault was, because peculiar things began to happen to the guildmembers. Some say foul play, or perhaps only bad luck, at any rate many believe that Conroy took his share of the treasure and used it to build fine houses for merchantmen in South Carolina. It is possible that the bulk of the Abenaki Wolf-charter cache still remains.

    • Hoang Ho
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 28, 2005
        twomtns2002 <twomtns2002@...> wrote:--- In meancosmalltalk@yahoogroups.com, Hoang Ho
        wrote:

        > This short story is about a Roman era Royal Tomb that is in the
        Central New York area. The site was included in a documentary film
        about the area, but the filmaker and video have disapeared. Anyone
        with the whereabouts of film maker Patrick diRenna formerly of
        Chicago and Utica,NY please let me know!! This site is currently
        nicely landscaped and a part of a State run medical facility.

        > From the book 'Short stories of Lost Treasure in the Adirondacks"
        > By Hoang Ho
        >

        > The Emporers Funeral
        >
        > To say that the men who gathered these treasures and laid them in
        their proper places is an obligatory statement. The fact that the
        treasures are still in their places after milleniums of time and
        modern civilized building of roads,schools and houses reminds us of
        the unconsious respect the following generations of builders must
        have had for their particular placement. Or perhaps a statement
        like " Naw, we won't build there, we'd have to move all that pile of
        dirt, is closer to the reality. The people who theorize about
        history include a group who partake in the notion that the ancient
        kings wished to be buried in the new world of North America. It is
        true that the ancient kings of Egypt were particularly wary of grave
        robbers, and that the intricate designs of their tombs included many
        secret passages and rooms. Some of the well-known kings are still
        missing in death, and the Mohawk Valley region of Central New York
        may be one site for their final resting place. The author is not an
        expert in ancient history, and can only draw a picture in words to
        go with the site described here in this story.

        > Young Titus was working very hard today. He was a Captain in the
        Roman Army.His expertise seemed to be that of a union steward on the
        docks, for today he was more or less in charge of a fleet of ships,
        their loading and unloading was his response ability. The tardiest
        slaves were assured the lash of his whip, the others the rage of his
        tongue.
        > Today was a special day, the Emporer Claudius was dead, and his
        resting place , in the vogue of kings and queens, was to be in the
        new world. Whether the Emperor had any foreknowledge of this is not
        known. The high priests and nobility decided such things. The
        Emperor had been reasonably popular and had died a natural death, or
        perhaps he was poisoned, who knows? Now it was Titus' job to escort
        the departed to what we now know as Central New York. Of course not
        just the Emperor's body was to be buried but along with gold and
        silver there were other possessions to be interred as well. Of
        course some of his property went to his kin and successors.
        > Titus was good at what he did, he dared not overload his ships and
        risk capsize. His neck was on the line in such a crucial mission and
        so he argued for and was granted seven ships, two more than his
        original allotment for the task. Horese and chariots and the funeral
        wagon were loaded up on the galleys. His slaves were fed extra well
        for the long sea voyage. The arrangements had all been made, and
        those navigators and priests were ready to leave. And so they set
        sail. It was early August in the year 54 A.D. The journey was
        completed in record time, thirty-eight days of near perfect weather
        for the voyage. It only rained once and the wind was always with
        them or non existant. The slave-galley men made good time with their
        rowing. Indeed, when they reached the northern post for Rome near
        present day Fall River, Mass. they found that rain has kept away
        from land as well. There was drought, and the combined civilization
        of Native-American and old world farmers were full of complaints
        about a lack of water. Titus oblidged by lending some slaves for the
        hard work of toting water in buckets to the crops, and after only a
        slight delay the convoy started out for the Adirondacks. Titus was
        confident of success in his mission, and the fast ocean crossing had
        impressed his senior officers and the nobility. Being ahead of
        schedule had given way to helping the farmers, and if all went well
        there would be stores aplenty for the return trip back to Rome.
        > The road west was attributed to the ancient peoples of the Old
        World. The labor supply being slaves and war prisoners and
        criminals, both Old World and Native American. On today's maps the
        route would seem to follow Rte. 9 in Mass. and through Schenectady
        to Rte. 5 in NY.
        > One clear night a meeting of the astronomers and astrologers was
        held. Because of a complex political arrangement the burial plot was
        to be adjacent to that of one of the Ramses Kings of Egypt who had
        been interred some 800 years earlier. There was a chance that a
        demonstration could occur due to the prevailing democratic political
        climate of the time, which had meshed with Native American customs.
        In fact a demonstration did occur as the procession neared the site,
        but the reason for that demonstration was clear. The Native American
        coffers of food had been particularly hard hit by the recent drought
        and overabundance of old world 'vacationers', if you will. After
        some negotiations those mentioned were appeased, and the procession
        moved on.
        > The location of the burial plots were landscaped by the
        professionals of the era. The older plot was basically a long mound,
        appoximately 20 feet wide by 30 feet long and about 5 feet high.
        The land had apparently been sold by a local Native American leader.
        Some dinosaurs were being held nearby. Collected from all over the
        world, they may have arrived on an earlier trip and were now being
        offered for sale to be interred with the Emperor or to the Romans as
        pets or for the circus. There was a tricerotops and smaller T-Rex
        type creatures, perhaps even other-world creatures were offered for
        sale to be buried with the Emperor. As Titus oversaw the proceedings
        and the funeral came to an end, he looked at his Roman companions,
        who also had some Native American heritage. Were they thinking the
        same thing he was? That someday they would like to be buried with
        all the ceremony and extravagant preparation?
        > That night at the Onondaga meeting place west of Chadwicks, NY the
        stars shone in the night sky and the bonfires glowed brightly.